how to get rid of flash hotspots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pai

Nov 24, 2004
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
ok, i know how to use bounce flash etc, but i sometimes have no choice but to take pictures using the in-built flash (e.g. never bring slr/flash, so using someone's point and shoot).

and of course i end up with a hot spot/reflection on the subject's nose and forehead.

how can i reduce this in photoshop? thanks!

what i do is if the area is not clipped then il try to juz adjust the spot or if it is clipped ill clone tool it.

Alot of people tried to be creative... Use paper... serviettes...

anyone tried using a mirror to deflect and bounce the flash off a ceiling before? Heh.

Sometimes the hotspot is so large... that cloning is very difficult?

thanks. i'm looking for ways to do it after the picture has already been taken lah. so unless there's a digital tissue paper filter in PS, it's a bit too late for me :)

i suppose i can do the cloning thing. anyone with more details or suggestions?

thanks. i'm looking for ways to do it after the picture has already been taken lah. so unless there's a digital tissue paper filter in PS, it's a bit too late for me :)

depending on the picture, if just small spots, can just use healing brush, if big spot, well, unless u can find a piece of identical skin or texture, else just leave it...

esp if u shoot at a piece of glass, then see 1 big hot spot... how? just leave it... by the time u do layering, etc... u still get 1 uneven patch.. and will look darn strange.

scott kelby's book has a method of removing hotspots.
if you can wait, i'll go home and post the steps for you.

depending on the picture, if just small spots, can just use healing brush, if big spot, well, unless u can find a piece of identical skin or texture, else just leave it...

esp if u shoot at a piece of glass, then see 1 big hot spot... how? just leave it... by the time u do layering, etc... u still get 1 uneven patch.. and will look darn strange.

thanks. the healing brush is pretty good. have used it on a few pix. yah i don't remove reflections from glass, or do anything drastic. just cut down the shine a bit on the nose and forehead. like applying powder liddat ;p

Post the picture here. So that we can take a look and maybe retouch them for u.

that would be great. don't worry, no hurry at all.

page 302.scott kelby photoshop cs2 guide.

-press s to select clone tool.options bar, change mode pop up menu from normal to darken.
-lower opacity to 50%.
-choose a soft edge brush.
-click on a clean area of skin(one that has no hot spots)
- start painting gently over hot spot areas with clone stamp tool.

use the combination of "clone" and "heal" tool. this is to make sure the cloned area blends in. works for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.