How to get red colour of a red lantern instead of orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
I am using a Canon 400D. I tried to take a photo of a red lantern but it kept coming up as orange. I tried ALL the different WB except for custom (I forgot how to do and no time and no battery juice left to figure it out). Wonder apart from WB, is there anything else that could influence colour. And is there any way to get the red lantern red? Thanks.

I am using a Canon 400D. I tried to take a photo of a red lantern but it kept coming up as orange. I tried ALL the different WB except for custom (I forgot how to do and no time and no battery juice left to figure it out). Wonder apart from WB, is there anything else that could influence colour. And is there any way to get the red lantern red? Thanks.

I think it's something to do with hue rather than WB :think:
tried playing around with the hue adjustment?

Try reducing the exposure. Any pictures to illustrate? It may very well be due to the material of the latern also.

Last edited:
Post a picture for us to take a look. Actually you can simply take RAW and change the white balance later though.

Try +0.3 Exposure, this may help

NPNT
lolz kidding
its hard to say unless got pic

but i guessing
1) there's a tungsten light bulb inside hence u keep getting the orange hue

2) highlights will be white no matter how u adjust WB
the orange hue might be the intermediate between highlight and the red of the lantern

3) ur best bet might be to use PS and layer mask for post processing...

Use RAW, come home and try WB?

I think you also have to determine the colour temperature of the lantern's illuminating bulb. It may be below tungsten colour balance, which means shooting at a tungsten white balance will still render you a yellow-toned image.

Status
Not open for further replies.