How to get panning shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgconnection

Deregistered
Jul 24, 2006
HI,

Would like to know how you guys get panning shots like the Formula 1 pics.

And what is vertical or horizontal panning?

use slow shutter

Practice make perfect.

Regards,
Arto.

Before i practice, i need to know how to make this kind of shots..

any settings and thins i need to do to get the panning shots?

Before i practice, i need to know how to make this kind of shots..

any settings and thins i need to do to get the panning shots?
Practice on moving bicycle. Use slow shutter speed, for example 1/30s (and set aperture accordingly for correct exposure). Set focus distance (I prefer manual focus). Follow the bicycle, and press the shutter release. Try to maintain so the bicycle is in one place.

Not good result? Practice more.

Regards,
Arto.

I have never done it :) but i think should not freeze the subject...... get some motion on the wheels etc..... to show its speed or its moving, my 2 sens

Mine all frozen :cry: 1st time at the F1 and all crab shots. Either it's frozen or all shaky...it's not as easy as it looks. Try shooting the normal cars on the road first..Get the feel then only attempt faster moving items. If possible shoot a marathon then progress to a bicycle race then to cars.

To get a good panning (in theory),

1. Make sure that the camera is perfectly horizontal. Using a tripod with a pan head will help.

2. Use a moderately slow shutter speed. It is difficult to keep the subject sharp if the shuttle speed is too long, or a too fast shutter speed will freeze the subject.

3. Turn the camera in the direction of the motion. This is where practice makes perfect. For me, it never perfected. :p

To get a good panning (in theory),

1. Make sure that the camera is perfectly horizontal. Using a tripod with a pan head will help.

2. Use a moderately slow shutter speed. It is difficult to keep the subject sharp if the shuttle speed is too long, or a too fast shutter speed will freeze the subject.

3. Turn the camera in the direction of the motion. This is where practice makes perfect. For me, it never perfected. :p

A noob attempt at panning for me. I decided to practice at singapore river at night since the boats are pretty slow. its a good place to be just a little dark. maybe if u go in evening the best, many many boats to practice on.
519857552_b900d4c3fb.jpg

1. used a slik 340dx to pan on a single plane
2. used 1/5 shutter speed. this is not the sharpest pic i have, can be improved. experiment see what type of shutter speed for different speeds of subject.
3. its my personal opinion (or is it reeally a fact) that panning is easier when the subject is smaller in the frame. i.e. use wide angle lens easier to get subject sharp while bg streaked. i dunno but thats my experience.
4. holding a cable release on other hand, shooting continuous. for newbie like me shoot many many then try to get at least a couple of good ones among all the rest.

Panning is tough...i suggest you try with normal cars during daylight. Use a tripod of course. A moderate shutter spd like 1/30s would do. Until you perfected this, I suggest you dun try night panning :confused:

Practise on taxis - you can use the writing on the side to tell whether your shot is sharp or not.

Practise on taxis - you can use the writing on the side to tell whether your shot is sharp or not.

yeah! good idea!! :) I second this practice. I'm also learning, will try this method. Thanks eastwest. ;)

but scarly they think we TP, slow down how? :bsmilie:

Personally, i use shutter priority set to around 1/80 or 1/100. (for cars @ 60km/hr). It should be good enough to get a sharp image while maintaining the blur.
trying to keep your hands steady while panning will definitely help.
Try experimenting to get the effects which you want.

Roy.jpg

cheers

I also personally uses Shutter Priority mode to get the motion blur I like. Try different shutter speed and check if the motion blur is what you're after.

It really varies a lot. Depending on subject's speed, distance, plane of motion, focal length etc...

This is of another kind of bike racing just last saturday during the Police Week Carnival.

Car-7-1.jpg

Info :

Shutter Priority Mode
ISO 100
Aperture 13.0
Shutter speed 1/80
Partial Metering Mode
Focal length : 44 mm

Don't despair and practise. Sometimes I do come home without any useable photos out of 200 shots.:bsmilie: Try different techniques and shutter speed. There's sure a keeper somewhere. ;)

how do i set focus (where to focus on) and when do i press down the shutter button?

I have to take many shots is it? Or one single shot? I am confused.

how do i set focus (where to focus on) and when do i press down the shutter button?

I have to take many shots is it? Or one single shot? I am confused.
use AF-C to track your subject, but will be pretty hard if you camera focus very slow.

when to shoot? ask yourself when will the shot looks most dynamic or best for you...

burst or single? if you are confident of achieve 1 hit 1 kill, 1 shot is definitely good enough. if you are real good, even 1/5 is possible

Select a single AF point and try to keep that AF point on the same place on the subject as you are following it with your camera. For example, keep the AF point on the rider/driver's face, etc. Make sure your AF mode is set to servo/continuous. I also find that it's easier to track with the camera held freehand and the tracking done by rotating at the waist rather than turning your hands/neck/head, etc. Lock your elbows, arms onto your body to stabilise yourself (ie. have only 1 point of movement, your waist). Don't try to immediately jump onto a subject and try to track it. What you can do is anticipate when the subject will come into frame earlier abit, wait there, pick up the subject as it enters your frame and start tracking from there. And yes, burst as many shots as possible as this increases your chances of sharp, focused shots. Eh, and of course, as everyone has been saying, practice makes perfect. It is possible to snap 300km/h powerboats zipping past with 1/30s. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.