how to get action shots that AREN'T blurry

Status
Not open for further replies.

valleygurl

Jul 13, 2006
Is it shutter speed?
I cannot figure out how to get my camera to focus reeeallly quick so i can get that shot quick without blurr..
I have a sony cybershot DSC-R1 10.3MP

any help?

valleygurl said:
Is it shutter speed?
I cannot figure out how to get my camera to focus reeeallly quick so i can get that shot quick without blurr..

any help?

Manual pre-focus at a point where the subject would most likely be then pan your shot. A high shutter speed would freeze your subject while a slow shutter speed with panning will give it a sense of movement (subject relatively sharp, b/g blur).

Your camera's ability to focus real quick has to do with the speed of the lens (max aperture). Hence an f/2.8 300mm lens is called a fast lens.

Alternatively, you may try using the continuous focus mode on your camera so it keeps trying to focus on your subject while you pan.

And yes, a fast shutter speed is what freezes movements. :)

G-man said:
Manual pre-focus at a point where the subject would most likely be then pan your shot. A high shutter speed would freeze your subject while a slow shutter speed with panning will give it a sense of movement (subject relatively sharp, b/g blur).

Your camera's ability to focus real quick has to do with the speed of the lens (max aperture). Hence an f/2.8 300mm lens is called a fast lens.
i thikn this might nto be true. a F2.8 300mm is called a fast lens is becos u can use a "faster" shutter speed due to the larger aperture

valleygurl said:
Is it shutter speed?

any help?

Or could try hyper focus to do away with shutter lag. As for the blur image, high shutter speed wld help, but then as highlighted by other CSer, fast lens is required too.

Zaknafein said:
i thikn this might nto be true. a F2.8 300mm is called a fast lens is becos u can use a "faster" shutter speed due to the larger aperture

My apologies on that. Yes just read it up and a fast lens is called such because one can have a faster shutter speed.

Thanks for correcting me.:thumbsup:

Freeze with flash...

and make sure the target is in focus

Please be careful if you're thinking of using flash. If it is a sporting event or a competition, flash is generally not allowed as it may blind or distract the competitors.
Another thing about using flash to reduce blur/movement is the existing lights there. If you're shooting in a bright light or even low daylight suitation, you may still get blur or movement images. Example:
Camera setting: f.5.6 speed 125/100
Existing lights: f.5.6 at speed 125/100

If you are allowed to use flash, make sure that you use smaller f. and the fastest shutter speed which can sync with your flash. This will help to reduce the existing light but the down side is that the background may be dark. Some trial and error will be needed to get the right brightness for the b/g and still freeze your frame. If you can't use flash, than a fast lens will come in handy. Use faster shutter speed, open up your f. and bum up your iso.

Hope it helps.

zac08 said:
Freeze with flash...
ortega said:
Fast shutter speed and flash will do the trick

also try panning with rear curtain sync flash
how does using flash helps to freeze the motion? :dunno: did u mean during night?
sorry, i have yet to learn much about using flash :thumbsd:

flash introduces more light.
more light faster shutter speed.

notice in a dim place, shutter speed is slower?
that's because it requires a longe exposure.

get it?

Flash can help to increase the shutter speed (normally synch with the camera at abt 1/125 sec) and the flash of light will freeze action for that split second needed to capture the picture.

If your camera is able to flash-sync at higher speeds (i.e. 1/250), it will be even better.

ooooooooooooohhh, i misuderstood u guys.
i thought u meant by just using flash, can freeze the moment without touching other settings. hahaha me bad!
btw, i think TS has no problems with the flash-sync since hes using sony R1

Status
Not open for further replies.