How to gaffer tape?

RhysCheng

Feb 4, 2011
Can anyone share some tips and methods on how to gaffer tape a camera and lenses?

Thanks in advance.

Zeisser said:
Er excuse my ignorance but why gaffer tape the camera and lens:confused:

i use it to prevent scratches. also it keeps low-profile when i go 3rd-world country.
personal preferences.

tks. shld have thot of tht.

no i mean seriously. just tear and stick. thats what i'm planning to do for my x100. i'll upload some pics when i'm done tmr.

allenleonhart said:
no i mean seriously. just tear and stick. thats what i'm planning to do for my x100. i'll upload some pics when i'm done tmr.

bro, im not being sacarstic. LOL. i thot there was a specific way of doing it. but realli, tks:)

bro, im not being sacarstic. LOL. i thot there was a specific way of doing it. but realli, tks:)

as far as i know... not any. last i touched a gaffer tape, it was a small piece given to me by francis747, to cover my eyepiece while shooting IR. just tear and stick lor

RhysCheng said:
Can anyone share some tips and methods on how to gaffer tape a camera and lenses?

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you do don't tape the rubber parts. Sticky residue will stay on rubber parts.

RhysCheng said:
i use it to prevent scratches. also it keeps low-profile when i go 3rd-world country.
personal preferences.

Just tape the glaring brands. I will also tape down the hotshoe because I don't use it when travelling.

I tape before a trip and remove right after the trip. If ugly best... even more low profile. I also tape off the pop up flash to improve rain resistance. Of course I use water resistant gaffer. Not the standard ones.

395128_10151201057008585_517781717_n.jpg

As promised. Hehe

allenleonhart said:
As promised. Hehe

wow!:D nice job bro! clean and neat. cant realli see the gaffer tape. thanks for sharing!:)

and the back view!

542999_10151201057753585_1576257866_n.jpg

i just overlapped many small pieces. not so much bothered about the aesthetics... its my intention to make it look as old and worn as possible.

got a few comments at the market, saying i was using a very old film camera. most ppl probably thought i was a hippy or something, and let me shoot without any issues

i touched up the eyepiece area already though. but not shown in this pic

allenleonhart said:
and the back view!

i just overlapped many small pieces. not so much bothered about the aesthetics... its my intention to make it look as old and worn as possible.

got a few comments at the market, saying i was using a very old film camera. most ppl probably thought i was a hippy or something, and let me shoot without any issues

i touched up the eyepiece area already though. but not shown in this pic

sweet! seems like gaffer tape did its job:)
hope i can achieve same results as u when i gaffer my 5d. although i know it wont be as successful.
thanks bro. u have been a great help:)

RhysCheng said:
sweet! seems like gaffer tape did its job:)
hope i can achieve same results as u when i gaffer my 5d. although i know it wont be as successful.
thanks bro. u have been a great help:)

A dslr will look big. So still be careful out there.

anyone knows where to get small amounts of white gaffer tape at the lowest price?

it usually comes in huge bundles and i'd never be able to finish it.

Gaffer tapes come mainly in black.
Just wondering if you can substitute it with white plaster tapes you find in the pharmacy?

Gaffer tapes come mainly in black.
Just wondering if you can substitute it with white plaster tapes you find in the pharmacy?

Gaffer tape comes in many colors actually... I am looking at a white roll infront of me now. ;)