how to freelance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloyteo

Sep 14, 2005
aloyteo.multiply.com
any freelance photographers here? what are the sources of your income other than wedding and assignment shooting?

i read that one can make money by submitting photos to magazines, newspapers, publishers etc but does this apply to the local scene? i heard that some photographers merely get credited if their photos are published. any good local magazines and publishers that accept freelance photogs too?

i mainly shoot landscape and nature shots and suddenly the inspiration came that i can make money out of my hobby. sorry i'm a noob can the pros please help me :embrass:

i think everyone here wants to make money from this hobby also. I'm waiting for such an opportunity to come by also. Anyone?

thanks for your suggestion. i mean has anyone tried making money by sending in their photos to magazines and newspapers?

The principal is the same as any other freelancing job. First and realistically, you need to know the 'right' people. I'm a freelancer myself. How I started out freelancing is a mystery until now. I dont try. I just do it.

Getting 'lobangs' is about knowing the right people i guess. There was one compaany said they were intrested in my animals pics but when i talked about payment then lost all intrest :bsmilie:

Ah well i guess i need to work on it more...

Bro, there are many avenues to make money with photography.
Like you mentioned, wedding is one. Shooting for company profiles, corporate brochures, product catalogues, advertisements, etc are also some options.
Where the press is concerned, whether your pictures are wanted or how much you can ask for depend very much on your luck. If terrorists bomb the istana and you were the only one there with your camera, and you caught all the action, go to SPH, tell them what you have. I bet if you say $2000 they'll also buy. If they say no, then you say "Fine. I'll go to Mediacorp Press and sell it to the Today newspaper. I'm sure they love the exclusive story.' Confirm SPH buy!

most publishing companies dun really use freelancers if they can help it....i.e. their photographers are mostly on contract and other than shoot, they need to write the story...no more clear cut JD.

Just be carefull...... As you get excited with the freelance job/money, you might turned into paparazzi.

Try selling yr photos as Stock Photography. Another way of income source. Though it's one of the slowest earning processes, but it encourages you to shoot more more more. :)

Here are 2 websites for yr reference:
www.dreamstime.com
www.shuttermap.com

Do read their Terms & Conditions carefully and know what are their requirements before submitting yr unqiue photographs.

Have fun and good luck! :D

aloyteo said:
i mainly shoot landscape and nature shots and suddenly the inspiration came that i can make money out of my hobby.

Landscape and nature shots are kind of hard to market.

Shoot photo stories and send them to the editors to see what they say. Maybe you could request their contributors' guidelines to send to you.

You could also get hold of a few copies of the magazines you're interested to submit to get some ideas.

Good luck.

Hobby's a hobby... why make it into a money making one? :dunno: Then why still call hobby?

i also want to freelance.:heart:
Anyone with lobang PM me.:heart:

yanyewkay said:
i think everyone here wants to make money from this hobby also. I'm waiting for such an opportunity to come by also. Anyone?

Not really true, cause I don't want to make money from this hobby. I just want to enjoy my shoot, which is mostly travel and of my family. Don't think I ever want to move to pro at all.

espn said:
Hobby's a hobby... why make it into a money making one? :dunno: Then why still call hobby?

If you can make money out of the photography hobby, why not? If you enjoy what you are doing, you probably will try to be good in it.

I can't see myself shooting just for posting in photo forums, entering photo competitions or hanging the prints on the wall. If I haven't had "commercialized" my photography, I don't think my interest in photography will last this long. :bsmilie:

The up sides of making money out of photography? Better and more expensive equipments and upgrading because they are self-financed. Tax reductions for all photography related expenses if the side income from photography is susbstantial enough.

Because you are pitting your works against the professionals, you are more quality conscious and experimenting more to develop a signature and always improving your products rather than shooting just for fun.

If it's any satisfaction to you you could see your works published credited with your name. I guess no one cares much about the credits except you.

The down side of it is you're not going to have much of a life as photography will take away most of your time and energy.

espn said:

make some money so as to support the hobby to make more money - its a vicious cycle ;)

anyway for those news hotline thing if u captured like say the nicoll highway collapse how much will the photos be worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.