How to format 80G HD for Win98se use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesong

May 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
I bought a 80gig HD hoping to use as storage for my Win98se system but I cannot format the full 80gig, instead Win98 maximum it can format is only about 12gig. Is there any way that I can do a FAT32 format on my 80gig HD?
WinXp can format large HD, but the system becomes NTF and Win98se cannot recognised.
Is there any software in the market?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Hmmm 12GB? Cannot be, I formatted 40GB on my 98 SE before.

use a Win98 SE bootdisk.

boot to : start computer without CDrom support

Type Fdisk

first screen will ask if you want to enable large disk support. make sure u select YES.

go inside, delete all partitions.

then create a partition again.

if it doesnt allow you to delete XP partition, then u hafta do one more step

u must first boot with XP cd. then go all the way to the partitioning part. delete all partitions using the XP installation prog. after that, QUIT the XP setup. then repeat the steps ive given u above

XP partition, funnily cannot be deleted by Win2K or Win98SE Fdisk. I have no idea why.

I used to be having a Win 98SE system and I bought an 80 gb hardisk. The shop owner use a win xp machine to partition the unformatted hardisk to 30,30,20 gb and format it to FAT32. After that you will be able to use the hardisk. :cool:

Hi, I feel that same as Isaiahfortythirtyone.
I believe that ur 80GB HDD consist of multiple partitions now and you got to readjust them using Fdisk in DOS mode. Else, you will need partitioning software like Partition Magic or other software.

U will have to look for the Fdisk software 1st, either get it from the internet or get it from a PC with Win98 as OS. Then follow the guide on Fdisk here.

After fixing the partition, then u can format ur 80GB HDD. :)

FAT32 only supports up to 32GB per partition, so consider you have an 80, you need to make it 3 partitions instead. As what Willz has said, 30,30,20 will be ideal

Win98 FAT32 can go up to about 120GB. No problem for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...00/server/reskit/en-us/core/fncc_fil_tvjq.asp

I suggest checking:

1. The jumpers on your hard disk (esp if you changed them yourself). Some jumpers can make the HD indicate a smaller capacity to the motherboard.

2. FDISK for multiple partitions, as someone mentioned. If the HD has been used on an XP system, then you will need to "delpart" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.