How to focus your D200 in total darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you're gonna be stumbling around in the dark trying to take such photos, you'd need a torch to get where you're going anyway... ;)

i use infrared goggles mah.:bsmilie:

Ok you can see in that light level right ? Which means you can focus manually which at the end of the day may be the simplest solution as opposed to hyperfocus ect.

what about stars? I've tried doing it with D70s...it refused to take pics of the sky :bsmilie: on AUTO focus mode.

Just focus on a far-away building or the moon.. the hyperfocal distance will cover to infinity. Those manual lenses have focusing rings which stop t the infinity mark. Some of the new AF lenses have focusing which can be turned beyond the infinity mark, so you don't actually know where is the infinity mark especially if it is a non-parfocal zoom lens.

I thought is illegal in Singapore :nono: .

Regards,
Arto.

you not really gonna believe i really have those are you?:what:

you not really gonna believe i really have those are you?:what:

We believe you have them and you're a voyeuristic type... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

just something interesting.. something other than torch..

try a Laser Pointer hehe

Interesting.. and it works..
Furthermore it wont look as comical as using a flash light . but of course its only for portraits or subjects up to 10m or so ? lol

just something interesting.. something other than torch..

try a Laser Pointer hehe

Interesting.. and it works..
Furthermore it wont look as comical as using a flash light . but of course its only for portraits or subjects up to 10m or so ? lol
well good suggestion actually.

a 5mw is the legal max for sg use but should be decent for focusing with its range of abt 4km for a good 5mw. you actually get a nice bright spot for your camera to focus on.

but if its really dark and its the horizon. i guess fret not if you cannot manual foc properly.
go to infinity, snap, turn back the focus a bit, snap, back a bit more, snap.. just keep snapping eventually go onto the computer and select.. after all.. digital's free~

although i dont use the d200, i had the exact same experience at the observatory nearby, where it was almost total darkness except for the little red lights that light up the walkways.

wanted a shot of the telescope badly yet couldnt use flash nor the AF-assist without blinding everyone else who was there..

flicked the switch to manual focus, iso 1600, 9 secs, took about 5 shots backwards from infinity and when i went back to the computer one of the shots was a hit.

fbae1f14.jpg

well good suggestion actually.

a 5mw is the legal max for sg use but should be decent for focusing with its range of abt 4km for a good 5mw. you actually get a nice bright spot for your camera to focus on.

but if its really dark and its the horizon. i guess fret not if you cannot manual foc properly.
go to infinity, snap, turn back the focus a bit, snap, back a bit more, snap.. just keep snapping eventually go onto the computer and select.. after all.. digital's free~

why is it when i switch to infinity(turn all the way) and take a shot, sometimes it's blur?

i notice (like what you say), have to turn back a little before pic comes sharp.:dunno:

why is it when i switch to infinity(turn all the way) and take a shot, sometimes it's blur?

i notice (like what you say), have to turn back a little before pic comes sharp.:dunno:

possibility if it a little over infinity?

forgive my poor drawing

2f1339f7.jpg

forgive my poor drawing

2f1339f7.jpg

well... anything beyond infinity meaning, is infinity, aka, should be sharp and look like 1 piece... for eg, max focusing is 3m, anything after is infinity, so u got object in 4m, 5m 6m, will look flat like in 1 plane. your theory not correct in this aspect...

however, i could say jeanie might have engaged the 'extra' portion in the focusing. Most lens have a beyond infinity section... you have to check your lens.

normally its minimum focusing - - - - - max focusing - - blank, then infinity, then got tis 1 extra space which i am not sure for wat, but if you think infinity rotate all the way, then you sure get blur pics... thats beyond already, anything also become blur...

I thought is illegal in Singapore :nono: .

Regards,
Arto.

There are a lot of things which are illegal in Singapore, one example is chew gum. I still chew gum and occasionally brought back boxes of gum from our neighboring countries for own consumption and to give away to friends and colleagues.

Sorry for the OT.

did a search...

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t9696.html

Well althou not certified by any other gurus yet... From Jack Flesher actually makes sense...

Well... as another conclude, its still better to use hyperfocal since dun even know what temperature and amount of diffraction your lens is going thru...

well... anything beyond infinity meaning, is infinity, aka, should be sharp and look like 1 piece... for eg, max focusing is 3m, anything after is infinity, so u got object in 4m, 5m 6m, will look flat like in 1 plane. your theory not correct in this aspect...

however, i could say jeanie might have engaged the 'extra' portion in the focusing. Most lens have a beyond infinity section... you have to check your lens.

normally its minimum focusing - - - - - max focusing - - blank, then infinity, then got tis 1 extra space which i am not sure for wat, but if you think infinity rotate all the way, then you sure get blur pics... thats beyond already, anything also become blur...

that was what i meant actually, that when you turn to the end, you will be past the infinity focal point

There are a lot of things which are illegal in Singapore, one example is chew gum. I still chew gum and occasionally brought back boxes of gum from our neighboring countries for own consumption and to give away to friends and colleagues.

Sorry for the OT.
FYI, chewing gum is not illegal in Singapore. Selling chewing gum is not allowed in Singapore.

I am off for this thread.

Regards,
Arto.

forgive my poor drawing

I think you got it wrong. When you focus beyond the infinity mark, the sensor plane should be nearer to your lens and the focus falls behind the sensor.

When your sensor is further away from the lens, a nearer object will fall in focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.