how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshift

Jul 11, 2006
hi guys..

i am experiencing a very very slow internet connection recently.. it has been happening since a week ago i guess, before it was fine.. i am afraid if there is someone stealing my wifi and taking most of the bandwith there.. :dunno: is there anyway to find out about that?? btw my wifi isnt encrypted actually since i dont know how to do that ;p

thx

hi guys..

i am experiencing a very very slow internet connection recently.. it has been happening since a week ago i guess, before it was fine.. i am afraid if there is someone stealing my wifi and taking most of the bandwith there.. :dunno: is there anyway to find out about that?? btw my wifi isnt encrypted actually since i dont know how to do that ;p

thx

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: Encrypt it lahz..

i know how to stop ppl from using your bandwidth

turn it on for 5 min stretch and then turn it off
do this for a week and sooner or later the ppl will not want to use your Wifi
as it is not stable

as it is not stable
that's a good one, time to go and get a timer switch. :thumbsup:

as it is not stable

then how are u gonna use it?? :think: :bsmilie:

hi guys..

thx

If you have an "always-on" connection, then just shut down all your computers and look at your modem. If its transmit/receive or internet lights continue to blink madly, then it's likely that someone's tapping into your Wi-Fi.

Just take the effort to learn how to set up your Wi-Fi router's encryption or call the helpdesk. Alternatively you could pay me $80 to do it for you...:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :angel:

_

as it is not stable

or switch to singnet?:bsmilie: :sweat:

i believe in cable;) .

to TS: encrypt it with a password is the best.

thanks guy for your replies.. ill be trying deadpixel suggestion to turn off the comps and see wheter any data transfered.. :D :D anyway i tried to encrypt it, i followed the method in the user manual, then after that i even couldnt get myself to connect to my wifi :cry: :cry: so i resetted the router to the factory setting that has no encryption..

as it is not stable
you win!

that's a very good idea
but it's seriously easy to encrypt what
i don't understand why people don't do it

find out from your wifi manual for how to logon using web browser and check the status of ip address released from your wifi router. if some of the ip address is not using by your comm then someone is using your wifi

thanks guy for your replies.. ill be trying deadpixel suggestion to turn off the comps and see wheter any data transfered.. :D :D anyway i tried to encrypt it, i followed the method in the user manual, then after that i even couldnt get myself to connect to my wifi :cry: :cry: so i resetted the router to the factory setting that has no encryption..

You must check, what type of encryption you set it on, 64 bits or 128 bits, WEP or WPA or something la. :)

Log in to your Router config page,if IP address are assigned by DHCP then you should be able to view if any MAC address inside that doesn't belong to you.
To make thing easier,encrypt it.
It takes only 2mins for me using dlink router.

Or you can just control access to the unique MAC address of your wifi card(s) only? What router are you using?

worst come to worst, then cable again and get help from your ISP or even the pros here

Instead of encrpyting you can also try mac address filtering and hiding your wireless network name broadcast.

There should be access log in your router...just go through if there is another IP connecting other than your own PC :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.