How to find out how the photo was post processed?

jreamer

Dec 3, 2009
Hi guys,

Is there anyway to check from a jpeg to see how the photo was post processed (e.g. cropping, colour adjustment)? I'm asking as there are certain photo competitions that allow cropping only and not colour adjustments and so I was wondering how would they be able to know if you were to bump up the contrast or the brightness of your submissions.

Hi guys,

Is there anyway to check from a jpeg to see how the photo was post processed (e.g. cropping, colour adjustment)? I'm asking as there are certain photo competitions that allow cropping only and not colour adjustments and so I was wondering how would they be able to know if you were to bump up the contrast or the brightness of your submissions.
They could look at your photos and judge visually if they have been over-processed. If it has not been over-processed, they will never know if the contrast was bumped up, as it could very well be the good performance of the lens used, and the lighting conditions

It's called "a skilled eye and experience".

u can try pixel peeping hahaha

The exit data reveal already a lot: orientation, image size, aspect ratio .. one just needs to compare with the actual image. Some image processing tools leave a clear remark in the exif data.
Regarding other adjustments: some competitions ask for additional submission of unedited files. Finally, some editing is done in a very obvious way.

exif information doesn't tell us what colour or tonal adjustments were made, i believe.

could you shed more light on the metadata you're refering to, technoglitz87.