How to find a job in a company?

seezhijie

Nov 8, 2010
Malaysia
I'm a student photographer who just finished my O levels, so like all other students I'm gonna find a job to buy medicine for BBB virus.
But how? So little companies looking for assistants and photographers.
Even as I type this now I'm being thick-skinned emailing requests to every photography company I see in Google.
Of course, I'm doing freelance too but it's too little since I'm just starting.

Any shifus here know the right way?

Honestly, most students at your age don't even have the $$ to afford photography in the first place. Not too sure if its worth it to work so hard to buy something way beyond your financial capability. So many people there right now wanna earn $$ with a camera just like you so it might be really tough. On a positive note, how about working at sitex next week? I used to work them and earn at least $500-600 per show. may be enough to buy you one lens? just my 0.02

I'm a student photographer who just finished my O levels, so like all other students I'm gonna find a job to buy medicine for BBB virus.
Even as I type this now I'm being thick-skinned emailing requests to every photography company I see in Google.

Just get any job lah... then look at our service wanted section and see if there are jobs as photographers, assistants and stuff like that.

Never say impossible but it will be a tough ride in your 1st year. If you're going to poly/arts school go ahead. I've got a friend who started professional photography at 18 yr old during poly... he is doing comparatively better than me now.

rhino123 said:
Just get any job lah... then look at our service wanted section and see if there are jobs as photographers, assistants and stuff like that.

I tried but oh well. Some want experience in studio, which I don't have. Some want assistants who are strong, which for me is out of question now. Others want people who are good with flash. I don't even have a flash

hawthorne907 said:
Honestly, most students at your age don't even have the $$ to afford photography in the first place. Not too sure if its worth it to work so hard to buy something way beyond your financial capability. So many people there right now wanna earn $$ with a camera just like you so it might be really tough. On a positive note, how about working at sitex next week? I used to work them and earn at least $500-600 per show. may be enough to buy you one lens? just my 0.02

What kind of job? Flyers? Salesman? Can earn me an SB700 already

Did you notice the section about Photo Biz here? If not, please spend some time reading. The question has been discussed there: turning a hobby into a job. That's exactly what you are trying to do, right? There are good reasons to keep it a hobby and there are many things to take note of if you make it a job. The main thing: nobody cares what you consider as a nice picture, the customer dictates what you have to deliver, like it or not. Also keep in mind: many people might just look for a cheap monkey holding the flash or reflector, but are they willing to take the responsibility to teach you properly?
Secondly, get as much education as possible now, meaning: go ahead for A levels. It is much harder to catch up later, especially here in this money-driven madness. Other countries offer A levels in evening classes for reasonable fees, but even then it's a tough thing to study math after 8pm...
Get a job that fills your rice bowl and gives you a decent set of skills, knowledge, experience. Once you got this you have something to fall back. Use the time to upgrade photographic skills as your hobby till you have reached the level that allows you to do it as main job. Then switch, if you are still into it :)

Octarine said:
Did you notice the section about Photo Biz here? If not, please spend some time reading. The question has been discussed there: turning a hobby into a job. That's exactly what you are trying to do, right? There are good reasons to keep it a hobby and there are many things to take note of if you make it a job. The main thing: nobody cares what you consider as a nice picture, the customer dictates what you have to deliver, like it or not. Also keep in mind: many people might just look for a cheap monkey holding the flash or reflector, but are they willing to take the responsibility to teach you properly?
Secondly, get as much education as possible now, meaning: go ahead for A levels. It is much harder to catch up later, especially here in this money-driven madness. Other countries offer A levels in evening classes for reasonable fees, but even then it's a tough thing to study math after 8pm...
Get a job that fills your rice bowl and gives you a decent set of skills, knowledge, experience. Once you got this you have something to fall back. Use the time to upgrade photographic skills as your hobby till you have reached the level that allows you to do it as main job. Then switch, if you are still into it :)

Yeah I know that. I've always been shooting for others to see, and I know my sense of art is slightly different from the majority so I'm trying to change now. As for assistants, I don't expect them to teach me. I've always been learning myself since I started. And photography is just a part time to earn some extras in the future. I have a full-time in mind. All I want now is to do something I like, earn at the same time, and wait for my results to come. It's after O levels.

I remember back then around your age it was tough to get any job excuse doing it shows because O levels really abit too young. barely got any skills out there that people want in this academic world. Agree that studies is more impt. btw regarding your sb700 v easy anyways. just pick any job and work all 4 days. I bought my sb700 grey last time 340 grey. Btw, 1 flash may not be enough if you wanna go into this photographic job thing. If you're struggling even to buy a sb700, maybe you should keep it at a hobby might be less struggling and more enjoyable =D

hawthorne907 said:
I remember back then around your age it was tough to get any job excuse doing it shows because O levels really abit too young. barely got any skills out there that people want in this academic world. Agree that studies is more impt. btw regarding your sb700 v easy anyways. just pick any job and work all 4 days. I bought my sb700 grey last time 340 grey. Btw, 1 flash may not be enough if you wanna go into this photographic job thing. If you're struggling even to buy a sb700, maybe you should keep it at a hobby might be less struggling and more enjoyable =D

At this age we're just looking at all the jobs like McDonalds, KFC, 7-eleven and the likes. Of course I don't expect myself to get into it immediately. There's still poly and NS, possibly uni. Like I said, I'm just looking for a short-term attachment or commitment or whatever, to fill up my holidays.

Honestly, if you can only think about fast food chains and covenience stores, I don't think you are looking hard enough. Have you opened up the Recruit classifieds in the papers yet? (If not, today is Saturday, it's a good day to do so). How about websites like jobsdb, jobstreets? ST701? I am sure there are plenty of temporary jobs around, for interns, office assistants etc. It's the year end, many companies are going to be rushing to close the financial year soon, so there should be companies hiring temps to handle the extra workload.

Prismatic said:
Honestly, if you can only think about fast food chains and covenience stores, I don't think you are looking hard enough. Have you opened up the Recruit classifieds in the papers yet? (If not, today is Saturday, it's a good day to do so). How about websites like jobsdb, jobstreets? ST701? I am sure there are plenty of temporary jobs around, for interns, office assistants etc. It's the year end, many companies are going to be rushing to close the financial year soon, so there should be companies hiring temps to handle the extra workload.

Just stating the most common examples. Will give jobsdb a try

Do you have a portfolio available somewhere that people can see?

I am looking for one or two assistants, but will need to know what level you are at.