how to estimate price of a used len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guni_hoon

Dec 6, 2004
West
hi

though disclaimer like buyers beware etc. and guidelines for describing condition of lens are published in the buy n sell forum, how do a newbie like me estimate the price of an used len?

All things equal,
1. what is the general useful life of lens? e.g. car is 10 yr by default.
2. can one spread the cost evenly over the useful life to agar agar the resale price if one know the age of the len?
3. would you discount or not discount the warranty (usu the 1st year oni) for qn (2)?

thanks for reading.

take a look at it yourself, most sellers in the thread are alright with meeting up to view the product etc, bring ur own cam and test out the lens etc etc

also ask them like how long they been using it and etc? thats abt all i usually do..

Depends on brand, age, price when new, demand and supply, so no fixed formula. Pretty pointless exercise anyway, just have a quick scan through the B&S section and you'll have a better idea of what the market value is for the lens you are looking for.

can go by weight loh. around $1k per kg of lens for the higher end ones ;p kidding.

market value is largely determined by demand and supply, so check out the past sales for a gauge.

u can also apply some discount factors (e.g. 20% discount) from the retail price. but some lenses which have fallen out of favour might be selling for a very steep discount (e.g. 28-105 f3.5-4.5 around 50% discount) vs lenses in greater demand (e.g. 17-40F4L around 10-15% discount).

I think there's hardly any generic mathematical equation which anyone can use over the sale of 2nd hand lenses. There are too many variables to take into consideration. So it all comes down to business instincts and acceptable evaluation skills.

anything from 60-90% of street prices, depending on condition

it depends if you are buying or selling.

If you are selling, then it is more expansive, use a photo to show what this lens can do.

If you are buying, then look for defects and bring down the price.

I guess the best way to refer to how much others are selling in B&S forum and then judge for yourself. Also depends on how fast you wish to clear the space in your dry cabinet! (good condition + low price = more space in your dry cabinet faster):bsmilie:

There is one more 'guideline' that must be considered - how much the lens goes for new overseas. i usually drop by B&H for a 'ballpark' figure. Some lenses have dropped in price siginifcantly and it can be cheaper to get new from the US than getting a used one here, even with shipping and taxes.

thanks all for reading or replying.

guess i gotta do more homework n b careful when buying used lens, or jus buy brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.