How to enter photojournalism...Your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diciannove

Hi all. Just a young kid here wanting to be a photojournalist. How may i ask do i enter the scene here in Singapore or is there any in the first place? Should i go to Uni for that photography degree of work real hard for a solid portfolio. Opinions, views and thoughts. Thank You.

I don't work in Singapore sorry, but I do work in Australia and though the market may be different I think the principals are the same. Firstly when you ask should you go to uni...yes. And should you produce work...yes too! Do both. What you have to do is study your local magazines and papers and decide what they want, then produce work of high enough quality, suited to their publication and send them samples along with your CV. And don't give up. I have worked as a journalist, potographer, sub editor and editor for 25 years, and have found more people get jobs through hard work and persistence rather than sheer talent. Editors like people with enthusiasm.

I am not sure if you need a degree to be a photojournalist with companies like SPH but for freelance photojournalist, you certainly do not need a degree. For the latter, what you will need is a strong news sense. Knowledge in journalism will certainly help so that you know what angles to look for and what is news worthy.

If you are looking for a photography degree, unfortunately, I do not think that Singapore offers any. The closest country to do such a degree would be in Australia and the more known universities for such degrees would be in US.

closest in Singapore would be Film courses like Mass Comm and so on but take note there is usually big difference from journalist and photo-journalist.

but from experience talking to full time photo journalists, the most straightforward way is to get a journalist diploma overseas and then try to get internship in SG but the thing is those who have had a taste of overseas journalism usually would never come back to SG other then for NS commitments or they may even give up SG citizens.

Work your way up to enter NTU's School of Communication Studies. Then take Photo-Journalism as a major and you're on your way.

The most important thing is to remain passionate, know what you want and go all out for it. Then somehow or other you'll find a way to get there. Of course it's gonna take time lah, but good things are worth waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.