How to enjoy photography when you have no time/money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
Hi guys!

Have not posted here for a good long while. I gave up photography when i went into the army almost a year ago. Sold all my equipment and have not touched serious photography ever since..

But after one year, i've began to itch for the photography after looking at pictures at here and other places. But the problem is im currently serving the nation, and as you guys know, the 'allowance' aint much! :confused: Furthermore, don't really have much time to shoot. But! The itch is there! Its there! ;p I once gave it up, thinking to save up and take it up again in 2 years time. I was last using the F80/ CP5700..

Any suggestion of how to get about this problematic situation? :cry:

Feel free to talk about it! Especially those students/NSFs that are facing the same situation..

Rgds

Heh....when i was still serving NS some 10 years ago, I also had no time nor money for expensive stuff like Hifi etc.... GF already occupied a large part of it! :bsmilie: ;p

Plan pictures, then once you're out you can go carry them out :D

Just a thought...

Wryer said:
Hi guys!

Have not posted here for a good long while. I gave up photography when i went into the army almost a year ago. Sold all my equipment and have not touched serious photography ever since..

But after one year, i've began to itch for the photography after looking at pictures at here and other places. But the problem is im currently serving the nation, and as you guys know, the 'allowance' aint much! :confused: Furthermore, don't really have much time to shoot. But! The itch is there! Its there! ;p I once gave it up, thinking to save up and take it up again in 2 years time. I was last using the F80/ CP5700..

Feel free to talk about it! Especially those students/NSFs that are facing the same situation..

Rgds

Hi..During my tim when I was serving..i have this crazed of getting a film SLR to learnt to shoot great pics..however ..NS pay was low so cant afford..

what I did was keep saving up..i would say..I everyday eat cooked-house to save up the bucks for my hobby. At that time no DSLR yet.

For you ..very simple...save up bit by bit..to solve temporarily itch..get urself a compact digital camera ..it wont cost much ..the most take you to save up says ..3-6 mths ? use that to practice your photography skills ..get one that has manual control so that you may practice ..find out your main area of interests and maybe specilisation.

Once you completed ur NS..get a full-time job or at least a part-time job..and save up for a DSLR..remember..DSLR..needs other necessary expenditure like lens ..flash etc....bluh..bluh..think carefully before
you buy..

Hope that helps :D

Should not have sold your equipments. Camera and lenses don't disintergrate or ran away if neglected.

Whatever little time or money you spent on it, even like half a roll a month goes a long way to cure the itch.

If more desperate don't load films just fire blank shots and dream about the great light and great compostion or great models when you go to bed. :sweatsm:

tats why im stalking the forums...havent been shooting...(photos on my 7610...dun really count..wahaha)

depending which unit u r at and what areas u have access to,

i think u shd get at least a p&s cos some sights u see in army, u will never get the chance to see once u ord

Time is how and what you make of it :)

You don't need money to enjoy photography, because you can never buy the moment, there's no need to splurge on expensive glasses to get the moment.

Actually compared with my then NSF allowance, you can be considered getting a lot ;)

Just keep shooting, let me know if you need help in getting back a Nikon system, maybe D70? ;)

Same situation here ... during my 2.5 years I cut down activities on photography coz weekend oso got guard duty to filfull ... :(

Well dun shoot doesnt meant stopping it ... you can always spend your time reading or browsing the web on photo informations. See more pictures and of course once in a while you still need to go for practical to refresh what you have learn ... keep moving .... :)

It's a good time to pick up on the theory aspect of photography (if you haven't). U can also go the library to borrow those books on photography to motivate you on getting that wonderful shot.

Anyway, if you have the nessary infrastructure for digital photography... go get a digital P&S... you can see that there are still a lot of P&S users here.

No Money?...save loh.
No Time?... manage loh.

Get a A85. I just ORD. Happy with my 2 months old A85. :bsmilie:
Army is a good time to save money. Trust me. Everyday eat cook house, nights off stay in camp or go home to eat dinner. Mon to Fri don't need to spend money on food.
That's always the weekends for you to shoot shoot shoot. :bsmilie:

KNIGHT ONG said:
Same situation here ... during my 2.5 years I cut down activities on photography coz weekend oso got guard duty to filfull ... :(

Well dun shoot doesnt meant stopping it ... you can always spend your time reading or browsing the web on photo informations. See more pictures and of course once in a while you still need to go for practical to refresh what you have learn ... keep moving .... :)

So unlucky, weekend duty?
Hate guard duty. :mad2:
Lucky get to be COS after 2 yrs. :bsmilie:

You need a camera. Aside from that, this forum has a tendency to convey the impression that you need buckets of money to buy buckets of equipment to enable you to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself.

You don't.

If you're into photography, then all you need to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself, is a camera and to go out and shoot pictures.

If on the other hand you're in it because you like all the shiny toys, then that's a different story.

No offense meant to any specific person in this forum.

Wryer said:
Hi guys!

Rgds

Wryer;

If I were you, I would buy an old pentax screw mount or Canon FD ( I don't know about nikon) you can get one with a 50 mm lens and load with B&W film so you can shoot. Just have film processed and proof sheet. no prints. Get a magnifier and check your proofs and if there is one you want blown up you can do that. Later you can get another lens, specially pentax, as they are inexpensive and you can get good lenses. Later you can get an adaptor to the new camera and continue to use the old lenses in MF and Man exposure or stop down mode. I know there are adaptors for EOS, Nkon, pentax k systems, etc. Doesn't matter what camera you get after NS, the pentax will be there for a backup and can sell again as people still buy them. Check ebay for prices.

Michael :nono:

you still need a camera to take photos. Get a cheap digital camera and start shooting ..

2100 said:
Heh....when i was still serving NS some 10 years ago, I also had no time nor money for expensive stuff like Hifi etc.... GF already occupied a large part of it! :bsmilie: ;p

Wow ,

Uncle. You so old liao ? ;p

Wryer said:
Hi guys!

Rgds

Why don't you finish your NS first then go into photography again ? I think having time to shoot is the main problem you are facing rather than money.

Jed said:
You need a camera. Aside from that, this forum has a tendency to convey the impression that you need buckets of money to buy buckets of equipment to enable you to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself.

You don't.

If you're into photography, then all you need to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself, is a camera and to go out and shoot pictures.

If on the other hand you're in it because you like all the shiny toys, then that's a different story.

No offense meant to any specific person in this forum.

goodposting.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.