How to do this?

akszaksz

saw my friend's photo.

i'm a total noob in PS, if i take 5 frames like below. how can i merge them into one like below?

65d85c9671.jpg

layers.
but the set up is not as easy. u need to use a tripod. ur background cannot afford to shake or ur PP will be alot harder.

use layers in Photoshop to add the 'girls' in.

caution: make sure the exposure for the girl is the same in all. and also if she's not moving directly across the picture, but slightly diagonal, that ur dof is sufficiently thick to keep her in focus.

EDIT: ur fren's photo also wasn't very well taken. the girl is blur is some poses. one way to get around that is use of flash.

Last edited:
Shooting using manual exposure and focus, and a tripod. The camera should not move while shooting the frames. It is quite easy to merge them in Photoshop, as the background provides an excellent reference. In Photoshop, create one layer for each frame, then apply layer mask and let the girl and the background surrounding the girl "punch through". The only more challenging part is the girl overlapping herself, in which case you'll need perform a more careful masking.

Hi all.

Early wondered about such several exposures.
recenly only I found this thread.
Done as ziploc mentioned earlier.
Able to do perfectly,
Thanks brother ziploc for your advice.:thumbsup:

Is there a chance this can also be done using the Multiple Exposure mode on the cam itself instead of using the PS?

great thread, saw something like this somewhere too... will try this out too :)

Is there a chance this can also be done using the Multiple Exposure mode on the cam itself instead of using the PS?
No, unless is in total black background, or else all the main subject will be in semi-transparent against the background.

in the right scenario, yes.

if youve got flashes in a dark room you can pretty much just set the camera exposure to like a minute or whatever and flash away until youre happy. did this in physics to "analyse projectile motion" haha

pd1304871.jpg

(not my photo yo)

Ah yes, this technique was featured in both the Jun09 edition of DCW & Aug09 issue of Dig Photo mags & CD using Photomerge/Mask or Layering. Cheers

using the layer mask in photoshop, the method is to reveal the merging pic with the brush method?

This is multiple exposure shot. You need to use a tripod and a remote cable to trigger the camera.
From your camera, just select multiple exposure mode and the numbers of shot. Try it and you can get the same picture.

Ya Multi-Exposure take 5!

A bit OT over here, by the way for Multi-Exposure > Is it that it take for example 5 frames, translucent it and put together? That means i cant deliberately set background and foreground for it? Or theres a work around for it?

can, as others have mentioned .. under certain conditions.

but to be honest, no one cares if you did it in one shot, or did it with many, as long as the result is nice. :)

but using camera multi expo, the object (the person in this case) seemed to be become translucent while background is solid

As I mentioned earlier, this can be done thru your camera.
Example:
Select multiple exposure mode and 5 clicks/shots. When you click the first shot the frame remain still until all the 5 clicks are taken and the frame will download in your camera and appear in the LCD screen.
My opinion of the setting:
metering:-Matrix setting.
mode:- shutter speed priority at 1/250 and aperture should be f8 or f 11 depending the surrounding light.
shot:- continuous.
focusing:- manual.
EV:- -0.3/0.7
A must for tripod and remote cable. Good Luck.

but using camera multi expo, the object (the person in this case) seemed to be become translucent while background is solid

not if you have a powerful enough flash..

not if you have a powerful enough flash..
there is nothing to do with whether the flash is powerful enough or not.

for multiply exposures, as long the background is no 0,0,0, IT WILL records some of the background when it is not mask out (block) by the moving subject during the exposures, as such, the moving subject will become translucent.

there is nothing to do with whether the flash is powerful enough or not.

for multiply exposures, as long the background is no 0,0,0, IT WILL records some of the background when it is not mask out (block) by the moving subject during the exposures, as such, the moving subject will become translucent.
may i ask, how to NOT have translucent subjects if using in-cam settings of multi expo?

thanks in advance.

Ya agree with the top, multi-exposure seems like translucent all the frame and combine one. Not possible to get above picture effect!