How to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camera is mounted on tripod and set to a longer exposure. It's the same for those Calendar pictures where you see "white" silky streams.

It's caused by a slow shutter speed or long exposures, you may need to get filters that does this, check out ND filters... may need to stack.

../azul123

tripod, 2xND filters, super small aperture.eg F22.

Was browsing someone's gallery and saw this :

http://www.jinolee.com/albums/album111/Labrador_Park_06.jpg

Could someone tell me how to make the water look like that or is that a lot of photoshop involved? Thanks.

Hi informer,

My friend PM me about this thread. Well since I'm the one taking those pictures, guess I'll be the best person to answer your question :)

Taken with EOS20D with Tokina 12-24mm lens. Setting: f16 @ 1.3secs @ ISO100. Cokin P series 0.6 ND Grad used. (it's a 2 stop Neutral Density filter) Tripod in the water. Mirror lock-up and Canon remote switch (cable release) used. Shot RAW and converted using Canon Viewers Utility and further enhanced with PS CS2 for contrast/colour.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, please do not hesitate to contact me. Happy shooting :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for that!

They were lovely pictures especially for Singapore. I live near a beach and would like to take something similar. There are some technical terms that you've mentioned that I'm not so familiar with. I do not have any filters except a poloriser and my lens are much poorer than a 12-24.

You don't have to follow everything exactly. Whatever lens you have will still work. The important thing is to have a relative slow shutterspeed to capture the movement of the water/waves and work from there. Ie. set your lens aperture to the smallest - F22 or even F32 if you lens is capable of that. If picture still over exposed, then you will need a neutral density filter. Your poleriser might help in reducing some light, so that might help as well.

Hi informer,

My friend PM me about this thread. Well since I'm the one taking those pictures, guess I'll be the best person to answer your question :)

Taken with EOS20D with Tokina 12-24mm lens. Setting: f16 @ 1.3secs @ ISO100. Cokin P series 0.6 ND Grad used. (it's a 2 stop Neutral Density filter) Tripod in the water. Mirror lock-up and Canon remote switch (cable release) used. Shot RAW and converted using Canon Viewers Utility and further enhanced with PS CS2 for contrast/colour.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, please do not hesitate to contact me. Happy shooting :thumbsup:

What time of the day did you make this shoot? Seems like early morning...
I'm staying at Telok Blangah Drive (all my life)... very near but the skies are always reddish by sunset.

What time of the day did you make this shoot? Seems like early morning...
I'm staying at Telok Blangah Drive (all my life)... very near but the skies are always reddish by sunset.

It has to be sunset because the cranes are on the west side of Singapore.:)

Since we're talking about this, can I ask if a polarizer is suitable for this case?
If not, what does a polarizer do?
Somebody gave it to me for free and I don't really know how to use it yet. :dunno:

polarizer is to cut glare if i am not wrong.like sun glasses.
wah got free cam stuff. tresure it hor put it to gd use.
cam stuff are not chaep.

polarizer is to cut glare if i am not wrong.like sun glasses.
wah got free cam stuff. tresure it hor put it to gd use.
cam stuff are not chaep.

yeah..saw the price tag... 56 bucks LOL:bigeyes:
in fact he's from clubsnap...he gave me when he sold me his 28-100mm canon lens

yeah..saw the price tag... 56 bucks LOL:bigeyes:
in fact he's from clubsnap...he gave me when he sold me his 28-100mm canon lens

ic ic
next time i buy lense go bargain too. hehe:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.