How To Do Focussing Beyond Infinity On FZ20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donchua

Nov 30, 2004
Tampines
Been reading about focussing beyond infinity but how to do it on FZ20 using the MF ring?
Thanks.

hmmmmmmm a more technical question..
What is beyond infinity? if infinity = never ending, how can u get beyond it?

:) anyway if you're focusing to infinity, it's just to turn n lock MF at the end where buildings 30m away are sharp. If i dun rem wrong the distance to be considered infinity for panasonic cam is 16 m or 20+m.. not v sure.

unseen said:
hmmmmmmm a more technical question..
What is beyond infinity? if infinity = never ending, how can u get beyond it?

:) anyway if you're focusing to infinity, it's just to turn n lock MF at the end where buildings 30m away are sharp. If i dun rem wrong the distance to be considered infinity for panasonic cam is 16 m or 20+m.. not v sure.

Read from the guide in Lumix FAQ thread.
Use for shooting fireworks, just don't quite get the faq mean..

heh ok.. anyway fireworks will be about 40 - 50 m above our heads, so it's considered infinity to the camera. to get it sharp, your camera needs to focus at that "infinity" distance. Unfortunately we can't afford to have our camera focusing while the fireworks are going off.. it'll take forever!
The work around is to set it to manual focus, focus on a building at least 30m away. then you'll have the "infinity" focus. For FZ5 users it's to set using the focus button, focus at a far away (at least 30m) building, and then don't focus anymore.

After focus is locked, just aim at the sky and fire away.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/node27.html

Focussing beyond infinity!

Like the lenses of many single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras, the focus on the FZ10 can be set `beyond' infinity! This is actually a `feature', in case the lens has not been manufactured quite correctly. So if you cannot focus that distant hill despite continuous turning of the focus ring anti-clockwise (to focus more distant objects), try turning the focus ring slightly clockwise instead (which brings the focus point closer to the camera).

Above was extracted from the link.
Read from somewhere last time which I forgotten where that also stated using the above
MF to shoot fireworks.
Just don't know the cam ortientation when the above stated turning the ring anit-cloackwise
and clockwise.

donchua said:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/node27.html

Above was extracted from the link.
Read from somewhere last time which I forgotten where that also stated using the above
MF to shoot fireworks.
Just don't know the cam ortientation when the above stated turning the ring anit-cloackwise
and clockwise.

I think the choice of words is not correct. There is no necessity to "focus beyond infinity" because anything beyond infinity will be in focus.

Just set your manual focus to infinity and fire off!

If one day you have a chance to do aerial photography, (I have not done it, and have no interest in it!) You can set you camera to the widest aperture to get the fastest speed (aeroplane/helicopter shakes!), point ans shoot.

Learnt this from the writings from the late Galen Rowell. Makes alot of sense to me.

unseen said:
heh ok.. anyway fireworks will be about 40 - 50 m above our heads, so it's considered infinity to the camera. to get it sharp, your camera needs to focus at that "infinity" distance. Unfortunately we can't afford to have our camera focusing while the fireworks are going off.. it'll take forever!
The work around is to set it to manual focus, focus on a building at least 30m away. then you'll have the "infinity" focus. For FZ5 users it's to set using the focus button, focus at a far away (at least 30m) building, and then don't focus anymore.

After focus is locked, just aim at the sky and fire away.

dun use M very often so dun understand here..

how to LOCKED the focus ??

student said:
I think the choice of words is not correct. There is no necessity to "focus beyond infinity" because anything beyond infinity will be in focus.

Just set your manual focus to infinity and fire off!

If one day you have a chance to do aerial photography, (I have not done it, and have no interest in it!) You can set you camera to the widest aperture to get the fastest speed (aeroplane/helicopter shakes!), point ans shoot.

Learnt this from the writings from the late Galen Rowell. Makes alot of sense to me.

That why my question here is how to set the FZ20 manual focus to infinity..:think:

k3nn3th03 said:
dun use M very often so dun understand here..

how to LOCKED the focus ??

Bro, you wake up so early..:D

Hmm... ya. I've been pondering that question too. I know focus ring can turn & turn then u see where got focus. But how to tell it's at infinity already? Now I know as long as 30m subjects are in focus, it's ok. ;)

donchua said:
Bro, you wake up so early..:D

early meh ??

got to work like slave hor...

weekday 8-6
weekend 8-5...

wa lau...

how i wish i can sleep late and wake up when the sun is up long ago...

karnage said:
Hmm... ya. I've been pondering that question too. I know focus ring can turn & turn then u see where got focus. But how to tell it's at infinity already? Now I know as long as 30m subjects are in focus, it's ok. ;)

am i rite to say by LOCKING the focus = adjusting the ring in front fz20 when switch to M mode ??

dio bo ?? :think:

Ermz.. well.. if you focus to infinity in manual focus mode, don't touch it, your focus is "locked" isn't it? lock means don't change the focus basically. Coz if u set to auto focus, after you focus on an object at infinity, you half press then your camera will need to focus again. if you use manual your camera won't bother and just shoot and shoot.

reading the post, I think what he meant by focusing "beyond infinity" means that the infinity focal point is not all the way to the end, it's just a bit before the end.

Hmmm anyway the infinity distance of 30m i derive from SLR lens. they got focusing distance written on their lens.. 5cm, 10 cm, 50cm, 1m 5m 10m, 16m, 30m/infinity..
thus i've always taken 30m to be infinity.. For our fixed lens cam, it should be much closer though..

donchua said:
That why my question here is how to set the FZ20 manual focus to infinity..:think:

I have absolutely no idea how your camera works. But here are some suggestions.

Obviously all these modern gadgets have automatic focus. If your camera have a feature to disable automatic focus, disable it and then it should be manual.

To set to infinity focus, look through the viewfinder on something really far away, then turn the focussing barrel (clockwise or anticlockwise depending on your camera/lens), till the distant image is clear - meaning you are now focussed on infinity. Leave it there. Because the autofocus function is off, it should remain there in infinity focus.

donchua said:

Haha... The problem I had with my fz20 is that it's always focusing everything. So I really don't see why you have a problem with infinity focusing. I'd just say set to Auto and everything will be in focus.

What are you trying to take?

As for locking the focus, it basically means half pressing the shutter on your subject and not letting go. No matter how much you change your composition, the focus on your subject is "locked".

That's constant focusing, meaning it will automatically try to focus as you shift your cam around..very battery draining. If you set Auto, and try to take fireworks, your cam will not have enough time to actually focus on the firework, and the pic will be blur.

kenshinz said:
That's constant focusing, meaning it will automatically try to focus as you shift your cam around..very battery draining. If you set Auto, and try to take fireworks, your cam will not have enough time to actually focus on the firework, and the pic will be blur.

so how to take good ones ??

advise pls..

if, set to M, locked the focus.. would the pic come out to be better than using S - 1 to 2 sec ???

i find using S to take is better than the Firework setting...

help help..

My humble suggestion:

Do not need to worry about manual focus. So how to take fireworks while before it comes out, everything is dark in sky, and when it comes out, it is just that split of second?

Well, switch your f-stop to be of higher value. This will help to DOF. That means, both the subject that is close to you and subject that is far away from you are clear (that is, everything in focus).

Before firework starts, just estimate the distance, try to set the focus on some nearby buildings, take a few test shots (afterall, this is the advantange for having it digital isn't it?), check your image focus, and once it is ok, just wait for the fireworks to come out and shoot to your heart content.

Too bad FZ series of camera do not have bulb mode, else, it will be more interesting...

JimDavis said:
My humble suggestion:

Do not need to worry about manual focus. So how to take fireworks while before it comes out, everything is dark in sky, and when it comes out, it is just that split of second?

Well, switch your f-stop to be of higher value. This will help to DOF. That means, both the subject that is close to you and subject that is far away from you are clear (that is, everything in focus).

Before firework starts, just estimate the distance, try to set the focus on some nearby buildings, take a few test shots (afterall, this is the advantange for having it digital isn't it?), check your image focus, and once it is ok, just wait for the fireworks to come out and shoot to your heart content.

Too bad FZ series of camera do not have bulb mode, else, it will be more interesting...

hey hey hey....

this is an "old bird"s advice... a fz-user still .. now also a DSLR user...

haha....

how come u no shoot liao...???

JimDavis said:
My humble suggestion:

Good advise.. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.