How to do a centre focus effect in PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Anyone care to share your workflow for doing a center focus effect, ie, the subject at the centre of the picture is sharp and as you go towards the edge of the picture it gets more and more soft. This effect is achieved traditionally and optically with a centre focus filter.

Togu?

if u want to upload a photo can show u based on that.

sample01.jpg

Er... something like this?

This is my flow, a short one indeed,

1. Use the Elliptical Marquee tool to make a circular selection. (For this case, the area where you want to focus)
2. Select Feather from the Select Menu, type in a value ( I used 20 for this example. If you prefer more gradual softening on the selection edge, use a bigger value ).
3. Select Inverse from the Select Menu.
4. Apply Gaussian Blur filter, ( I used 10 for the radius )
5. Flatten the image.
6. Post!

Hope this helps. ;)

Alternatively, get 1 of those center focus cokin filter. ;p

Wah...Togu... another classic! Thanks.

BTW, was that you in that pic above?

My preferred way is to create a new layer and apply Gaussian blur to it.

Then create a layer mask and use the gradient tool (radial gradient) to make the centre sharp and the surrounding blur. This provide better control because you can decide exactly how gradual you want the peripheral blur to be.

Ansel said:
Wah...Togu... another classic! Thanks.

BTW, was that you in that pic above?

:embrass:

Yes, the one on the left is me... :embrass:

StreetShooter said:
My preferred way is to create a new layer and apply Gaussian blur to it.

Then create a layer mask and use the gradient tool (radial gradient) to make the centre sharp and the surrounding blur. This provide better control because you can decide exactly how gradual you want the peripheral blur to be.

That's a better flow. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.