How to DIY passport photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s598719

Oct 27, 2006
Just try to DIY for fun instead of going to shop.

Requirements: 4.5cm x 3.5cm on Matt paper; background white.

Hmm, can I use white wall as white background or should I use a proper backdrop & where do i buy those pullup backdrop?

Just use a white wall will do.

You may need a 1-2 off-shoe triggered flash to even out the light for the wall. Even if you backdrop, you need these flashes also.

Bounce the flash mounted on your camera body to give a more even & soft light to brighten the features of the subject's face.

:)

if the subject wear glasses, tell him to tilt his head down a bit.

you should at least 5ft away from your background
set up another flash, place it behind you and aim at the background, set it overexpose 3 stops, so you will have pure a white background, but be careful about the white flare into your images.

you should at least 5ft away from your background
set up another flash, place it behind you and aim at the background, set it overexpose 3 stops, so you will have pure a white background, but be careful about the white flare into your images.

Thanks all for tips.

This is what I did:

1. Paste mahjong paper on wall for background
2. Use external flash & bounce off ceiling......attached the Lambency diffuser
3. Did post processing
4. Print out using Canon Easyprint software (have setting in place to print 4.5cmx3.5cm)
5. Then just cut out

Looks quite good.....like taken in studio

Thanks all for tips.

This is what I did:

1. Paste mahjong paper on wall for background
2. Use external flash & bounce off ceiling......attached the Lambency diffuser
3. Did post processing
4. Print out using Canon Easyprint software (have setting in place to print 4.5cmx3.5cm)
5. Then just cut out

Looks quite good.....like taken in studio

cool.. how did you get the physical dimension right? cos in software.. it is measured by pixels/resolution? I am thinking of DIY too and use my canon cp720 printer to print (4R). So 6passport size photos in a 4R :dunno:

cool.. how did you get the physical dimension right? cos in software.. it is measured by pixels/resolution? I am thinking of DIY too and use my canon cp720 printer to print (4R). So 6passport size photos in a 4R :dunno:
you can change the measurement into cm, mm, inches or whatever in photoshop. can do 8 passport photos in a 4R print.

haha its quite funny reading this...

last time i got my passport photo taken it was a p & s taken against a white wall with a flash, turned out alright... trust us photographers to go this hard out on something as simple as a passport photo lol.... :D

pls correct me if I'm wrong bros... We simply set Canvas Size in Photoshop to that of 4R size (ie 4x6) and then simply cut and paste the passport photos to fill as much space as possible?

thanks!

I took my own passport photo with a white background (i.e. white wall), using a Canon G5 mounted on a tripod with self-timer. Did a little PS to remove strands of hair sticking out etc (something which the ppl at the shops won't do for you).

I have been using this picture for countless of application forms etc. :)

Note that your background has to be WHITE for passport renewals. My mum went to a shop to take her passport photo and they used a RED background. They even assured my mum that ICA would not object the use of the RED background. I scanned the picture and sent ICA her passport photo online, only to have ICA say that the RED background is inappropriate. I had to PS it to a WHITE background. :sticktong

Last tip I discovered... especially if you only have a P&S and not the elaborate setups.

1. Stand at a corner. Subject face exactly 45deg out of the corner
2. Photographer aim right at the subject (into the corner)
3. Take photo with flash.
4. The walls behind the subject will self-cancel out the shadows

However, u may need to PS out the vertical line (corner line). This is far easier than trying to rid the harsh shadow. Tried many times with good results.

Do tell me wat u think of this procedure...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.