How to disassemble Nikon 18-55 VR

VivekV9

Dec 11, 2014
Singapore
Does anyone know or can recommend a video on how to disassemble a Nikkor 18-55 VR lens. I dropped lens so badly that it hit the ground really hard and bounced for a while :(

Luckily, it was only the filter which broke into pieces and I don't see any visible damage to the lens' optics. The mechanics seem to have damaged though. After I unlocked the lens it only moves between 24 to 40 mm and doesn't go any further on either side. When I tried to slightly shake it, a small plastic part or a loose screw's sound comes out.

The lens is still under warranty, but doesn't look like Nikon Service center will help for free because of that sound of something broken.

I couldn't find a good video on how to open this lens. Could someone please guide.

Thanks!

Something is broken. What are you going to do after you open it up? Do you know what to do? Do you have the parts? What do you plan to do if it becomes a basket case - all parts in a basket with no idea where they came from or what's missing.

Suggest to send it in, they will know what to do and have the parts.

Something is broken. What are you going to do after you open it up? Do you know what to do? Do you have the parts? What do you plan to do if it becomes a basket case - all parts in a basket with no idea where they came from or what's missing.

Suggest to send it in, they will know what to do and have the parts.

Thanks for your suggestion qystan, but you seem to be too negative and hopeless in your approach.
I would only know if something has broken and beyond repair at home after I have seen it myself. Nikon is anyways not going to do it for free, so I would give it a try.

Thanks for your suggestion qystan, but you seem to be too negative and hopeless in your approach.
I would only know if something has broken and beyond repair at home after I have seen it myself. Nikon is anyways not going to do it for free, so I would give it a try.

Hi Vivek, have you considered just buying a pre-owned 18-55 VR? Getting NSC to repair it will cost more than getting a new lens. Getting the tools yourself will probably cost more than getting a pre-owned unit.

Most of the members here probably have a 18-55 VR they don't use and haven't cared to sell coz it's too cheap (to spend effort on).

NSC repair = 125-150
new 18-55 VR / VR2 = 175-250
pre-owned 18-55 VR / VR2 = 50-100
pre-owned Nikon 24-85 VR = 350-450
pre-owned Sigma/Tamron 17-50 / f/2.8 with VR equivalent = 400-500

(all are estimates)

Hi Vivek, have you considered just buying a pre-owned 18-55 VR? Getting NSC to repair it will cost more than getting a new lens. Getting the tools yourself will probably cost more than getting a pre-owned unit.

Most of the members here probably have a 18-55 VR they don't use and haven't cared to sell coz it's too cheap (to spend effort on).

NSC repair = 125-150
new 18-55 VR / VR2 = 175-250
pre-owned 18-55 VR / VR2 = 50-100
pre-owned Nikon 24-85 VR = 350-450
pre-owned Sigma/Tamron 17-50 / f/2.8 with VR equivalent = 400-500

(all are estimates)

Thanks Nehalem!
I think you are right about that, and as you said, I also use it rarely now. I rarely unmounted my 50mm 1.8 prime ever since I bought it. But since there are some times when you need a variable zoom lens and I don't want to spend on buying/repairing 18-55; I would rather buy a better zoom lens if and when I will. For now, I am only trying to find out if I can somehow get this 18-55 back to working condition without spending much.

Last edited: