How to Differentiate an Authentic Filter

sbq3162

Sep 5, 2007
Singapore
Hi fellow snappers,

Recent trend, there are many items we can buy online from eBay etc. and do you think they sell genuine products? Has anyone come across any issue with the sellers?

Recently I bought a Hoya HD UV Filter from eBay. Of course, all will claim that they sell genuine products. I just receive my order and checked on the every single details. It looks normal but there were 2 areas that made me suspicious. 1) at the back of the box, there's a typo, instead of 'licensed by Hoya....', it was 'licesed by...'. 2) at the back of the plastic holder for the filter, there's an embossed print which is supposed to be 'Japan' but it was 'JaPan'.

Anyone came across this? Care to share? :confused:

Send your filter to this MSN show named CounterFake.

MSNCounterFakeshow.jpg

Hi fellow snappers,

It looks normal but there were 2 areas that made me suspicious. 1) at the back of the box, there's a typo, instead of 'licensed by Hoya....', it was 'licesed by...'. 2) at the back of the plastic holder for the filter, there's an embossed print which is supposed to be 'Japan' but it was 'JaPan'.

Filters have so little details to check for authenicity.. and glasses require special equipements to check the quality as the naked eye is difficult to see the difference. send an email to Hoya distributor to ask how to check?

but erm..... typos are the first tell tale the products are fake or of dubious origins. Sorry, if u have encountered such an issue. REPORT the seller!!

Typos are the best hint for fakes. The original packaging goes through many checks and verifications. But people faking them usually pay little attention. 'Same same, but different ..'

Exactly! My first instinct was that how could Hoya, such a big company will have typo on their packaging. Maybe, any of the fellow snapper here had a hoya filter and check on the box to verify that all wordings are correct?

care to share the ebay nick so others will take note ? HKdirect is the nick?

Hi fellow snappers,

Recent trend, there are many items we can buy online from eBay etc. and do you think they sell genuine products? Has anyone come across any issue with the sellers?

Recently I bought a Hoya HD UV Filter from eBay. Of course, all will claim that they sell genuine products. I just receive my order and checked on the every single details. It looks normal but there were 2 areas that made me suspicious. 1) at the back of the box, there's a typo, instead of 'licensed by Hoya....', it was 'licesed by...'. 2) at the back of the plastic holder for the filter, there's an embossed print which is supposed to be 'Japan' but it was 'JaPan'.

Anyone came across this? Care to share? :confused:

Do this with your filter and you will know if it is real or not...

[video=youtube;cT6wBQR7iqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE[/video]

Hoya doesn't have a problem with English, so likely that it is fake.

Exactly! My first instinct was that how could Hoya, such a big company will have typo on their packaging. Maybe, any of the fellow snapper here had a hoya filter and check on the box to verify that all wordings are correct?

Actually, there was a situation a while back where there is really a typo on the outer box of genuine Hoya HD filters where they spelled "licensed" as "licesed". It was verified later that all these are genuine.

http://www.mu-43.com/f35/hoya-hd-cir-pl-fake-query-7860/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=806528&page=2

Wow! Thanks for the research! So, it is pretty common for the typo and I'm not getting the fakes. Haven't try out if it'll break like that YouTube! Lol

Actually, there was a situation a while back where there is really a typo on the outer box of genuine Hoya HD filters where they spelled "licensed" as "licesed". It was verified later that all these are genuine.

http://www.mu-43.com/f35/hoya-hd-cir-pl-fake-query-7860/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=806528&page=2

Wow! Thanks for the research! So, it is pretty common for the typo and I'm not getting the fakes. Haven't try out if it'll break like that YouTube! Lol

Erm.. wait... previous experiences are not guarantees of future performance.

But just for your info, my Hoya HD also have the same spelling mistake of "licesed". But this mistake is ONLY on the back of the printed box like mentioned in the links I provided earlier.

There are other ways to test the filter... use your hands and smudge the glass. If it is a real Hoya HD, it will be easy to wipe off using just a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
Typos are the best hint for fakes. The original packaging goes through many checks and verifications. But people faking them usually pay little attention. 'Same same, but different ..'

Sometimes sh*t still gets through... :D

nAcbY.jpg

where's the source for this one :bsmilie:

It was all over the internet back then... don't think anyone knows the source anymore with all the posting and reposting.

Do you really need all that just to sh*t? :think:
:bsmilie::bsmilie:
Yeah, who needs face detection for shooting bowel movements..? :bsmilie: