how to deply tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerOyster

May 11, 2008
noob question. just came back with my first night shot after initial fumbling with my tripod.

do you release the latches to let the legs slide down? if yes, one leg at a time or one section at a time? if one section at the time, is it the upper or lower section first?

OR

Do you leave the tripod on the ground, release all the latches, and "pull" the tripod up?

OR

Do you hold your tripod horizontally, release the latches, and pull out the legs? if yes, again, the upper section first or lower, or by one leg at a time?

OR

Am i just being anal :eek:

Use whatever styles that suits you. Different Tripod have different method of deployment. However, make sure all the latchs/quick lock are tighten properly else when the setup come crashing down, you will cry.

I just unlock all the twist lock and pull down the legs. den tighten. Mine is Gitzo 6x G-lock system so its fast and easy to deploy.

i am using the 190XPROB. once i release the latch (or quicklock or whatever it is called), the legs will just slide down with a slight scratching sound (not very comfortable for my ears) and end with a "dink" (not very comfortable for my heart). Though this is my preferred method (as it is the fastest), i was wondering will it cause any damage in the long run.

it. doesn't. matter. so. long. as. you. get. it. up.

(yes, i realise that some people will find this funny)

Am i just being anal :eek:

Sounds unhygienic and I'm not sure whether this is the right purpose for a tripod. But human imagination...

Back to topic. You forgot another method: Put the tripod upside down, stick the tripod head into some sand or rocks or whatever gives a good support and then pull out the legs. Easy to use your weight then to push the legs into position. Pull the tripod up and mount the camera ...
[Disclaimer: This post may contain irony and / or nuts.]

find a chair,
sit down,
put the tripod on your lap
release each latch,
extend the legs to the height desire,
lock the latch,
stand up,
deploy the tripod,

Everyone will have their own ways to set up the tripod. For me i find the most convenient and easy way for tripods with latches will be holding the tripod, release all the latches, pull out the legs and lockin the latches after which can mount the camera. If during releasing latches the legs slide out by themselves even better :bsmilie:

Back to topic. You forgot another method: Put the tripod upside down, stick the tripod head into some sand or rocks or whatever gives a good support and then pull out the legs. Easy to use your weight then to push the legs into position. Pull the tripod up and mount the camera ...

I'm not going to add to your other comment as I have no wish to be banned from here, but I freely admit to finding it hilarious :)

I won't put the tripod head onto the ground - getting dirt stuck onto the ball of the tripod head doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'd just unlock and let them slide out, either one leg at a time or all at once.

Sounds unhygienic and I'm not sure whether this is the right purpose for a tripod. But human imagination...

[Disclaimer: This post may contain irony and / or nuts.]

shucks, why didn't i think about that? .....:think:

and thank you for those that provided constructive replies

Status
Not open for further replies.