How to deal with low-ballers

Cupid33

Deregistered
Jan 7, 2012
Hi guys,i have jus joined the CS forum.Actually it was a fren of mine who introduced mi.Recently he was sharing with mi about his posting of a lens in the BnS forum(WTS).He told mi that his selling price was $xxx but somebody SMS him & quote a price which was lesser by $100.He said that his indicated that his price was firm and nevertheless he still got ridiculous offers.My concern or should I say interest is that I do forsee myself involving in the BnS sometime soon & what if the same situation happen to me,what should I do?Do u guys think I should give him a piece of my mind & tell him off,or tell him nicely, or should I just simply ignore this kind of people or what...???Please kindly advise.Thank You Very Much!

Well that's the fact. Nothing much we can do about it too except ignore.

state in your thread that you will ignore any unreasonable offer.

don't need to get upset,
don't bother to rely,
don't waste your time and efforts on such people,
just end the story and move on.

Hi guys,i have jus joined the CS forum.Actually it was a fren of mine who introduced mi.Recently he was sharing with mi about his posting of a lens in the BnS forum(WTS).He told mi that his selling price was $xxx but somebody SMS him & quote a price which was lesser by $100.He said that his indicated that his price was firm and nevertheless he still got ridiculous offers.My concern or should I say interest is that I do forsee myself involving in the BnS sometime soon & what if the same situation happen to me,what should I do?Do u guys think I should give him a piece of my mind & tell him off,or tell him nicely, or should I just simply ignore this kind of people or what...???Please kindly advise.Thank You Very Much!

Don't waste your time even replying to such person if you have already indicated FIRM or FIXED on your thread. Just simply ignore the person politely. Hope it helps :)

Dun waste monthly free SMS quota or $0.05/SMS to reply.

Ignore his sms/call.. His name/contact nos. goes to the "BLACK-LISTED" page and would be privately shared with fellow CS members..Giving him/her a piece of my mind would encourage his/her ego...So Lowballer out there...eat your heart out..!:bsmilie:

Cupid, I once put up a lens for sale for $200. some one offered me $35 and i didn't even bother to reply. After that he smsed me twice and the last sms said,"best offer $50, can deal immediately. not fussy buyer or checker".. in the end i sold the lens to someone else for $150..

sometimes seller's asking price is too high for BNS and sometimes buyers just want to try their luck.
this is very common.
the easiest way is to simply ignore if you can't meet the price.
there is no need to get so upset or serious about such incident.

Last edited:
Everyone wans a good deal..

Seller wan sell high
Buyer wan buy low

If price not to your liking u can ignore, no point getting upset

This kinda ppl just gets on ur nerves & make ur blood boil man...lets kill'em:hammer:

Low baller (prospective Buyer=pb)

1. Seller price unreasonably high - so pb offer market price > low ball?
2. Seller price=market price - pb offer lower price > low ball?

B&S on cs is no different from bargains at the bazaar/pasar malam.
Market dynamic is simple: One willing to sell at a price; One willing to buy at a price.
If price match > deal
So you've 3x Courses of Action: Accept, Negotiate or Ignore the offer.

Last edited:
It also depends if the seller is selling overly high in the first place. It works both ways, lowball and highball.

Say for example if brand new Nikon 50mm f1.8G is $285 from the popular shops like TK Foto/MS Color etc, and the seller sells his used one at $320, how to say the buyer is low-balling when buyer offers $240? Not making up figures but best on observation on BnS threads - there are people selling at $320 (and still unsold) and there are people selling at $240 (and sold within the day).

Whether brand new condition or not, the moment it left the shop and got into private ownership, it lost value.

Another example is people selling old fungus infected lens at high prices, like a recent 105 AIS, that lens is 10-20 years old, mint collector condition goes for around $350, used condition around $250 to $300. Seller want to sell his fungus infected one at $200+. That is high balling. Real value probably less than $50. If buyer offered $100 less, buyer still overpaid, but seller would still claim buyer lowball because he offered $100 less. You have to look at the realistic value of the item.

Ignore the lowball-highball ball ball words. If its a fair deal, take it if you need it. If its an unfair deal, then leave it. Unfair listings seldom sell - the ad posers will be posing every 3 days like doing a part time job. Just check the threads he started and you may see his selling the same item for the past few months, unsold because price too high and his too conceited that people are lowballing him.

If real low balling can always ignore it. You are angry only when you allow yourself to do so.

I recently sold a lens for $300, common pre-owned prices for this lens is $350 to $400. The buyer on the spot still try to ask for $290, I rejected and press the lift door and want to go home continue watch TV, he lang lang buy on the spot. Its common. Its just business.

This kinda ppl just gets on ur nerves & make ur blood boil man...lets kill'em:hammer:

can u say with absolute certainty that when you buy stuff from buy/sell in future, u won't make counter offers, u won't ask for best price, u won't bargain? ;)

any of such actions can be deemed as "low-balling" if the seller feels that your counter-offer is below his / her expectation. ;) its a very subjective term.

if u're not willing to deal at the price that the prospective buyer offered, just ignore and move on. dun waste your time and dun let it get to u.

I have done a few buying and selling in this forum. Well, we get all sort of people but bargaining is norm if the seller did not states specifically his price is fixed and will not entertain any lower offer. Even if someone sms you with a lower offer, seller just need to ignore since he has already stated so.

I personally has met interesting buyers too. One paid and took the lens but wanted to return after 15 mins. Basically he just bought his camera for 3 months and don't know how to focus under low light using a tele-zoom lens. I returned his money full as I don't want an unhappy buyer and there is nothing wrong with my lens.

Another meet up after agreeing with everything. On the meeting day, he inspected the lens but says 'although lens is in good condition, there are some marks but can be cleaned, can reduce further?'. If he had asked for a slight discount up front, I would have given but since it is in this way, I took back my lens and sold to another buyer. I just waste some time and petrol but don't want anything to do with him.

Recently I bought 2 lenses from fellow CS members here. I inspected and tested to ensure it works as agreed. I paid full and no further question about it.

One of the great things about CS is the sale section. Sometimes we want a certain item and long for it. After a while, we are itchy to change. Always poison by CS members telling us all their great stuff here. Buying pre-owned is one good way since we don't loose that much. To me it is like an exchange section among members. So don't feel stress about it. Happy you buy or sell, otherwise just ignore.

Photography is a great hobby for both young and old. This club is a great place for all with the same hobby to exchange ideals and make friends. I have made many friends after joining CS and enjoyed this hobby. Hope it stays this way. :thumbsup:

Someone post wts Canon 550D Kit II (18-135mm lens) standard package.
He ask for 1400 (negotiable),
If I offer $1000 > low ball?

i wont even bother contacting seller wor. later kena suan i low ball even though market price is 1000 to 1200 around there. seller sometime dunno the 2nd hand price and just put asking price based on their own estimate. After sometime no body enquire will reduce the price one. or maybe some blur blur buyer dunno buy at asking price lor.

i wont even bother contacting seller wor. later kena suan i low ball even though market price is 1000 to 1200 around there. seller sometime dunno the 2nd hand price and just put asking price based on their own estimate. After sometime no body enquire will reduce the price one. or maybe some blur blur buyer dunno buy at asking price lor.

+1 to this :bsmilie: sometimes if see the asking price seems too high, better just ignore and let the seller realise their own mistake before making an offer. otherwise, ho sim tell the seller the price too high, get mistaken for a lowballer. :angel:

Only if you don't explain why and how you come to these numbers :) Looking at the current prices I think you are closer to a reasonable price then he seller.

I guess another way for sellers is that they sometimes mark up their price a bit in light they know surely that lowballers/negotiators will appear..say a $300 item selling for 320 or 340...this way both parties get their share of the lowball highball game. haha.