How to crop my pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeeepys

Aug 2, 2008
Hi

I am using Oly E-520.

I heard from somewhere saying about printing photos of 4/3 format, as generally most shops (even Canon Slyphy printers) are all printing on standard (3:2 format). Else if I send the photos without cropping, I may not get the photos printed in the way I wanted cos actual photos size and printed size differs.

I had CS3 loaded in my pc but don't know how to use it to crop my photos to the correct size for printing, cos my mum wanted some photos she had taken with some relatives by this weekend.

I will greatly appreciate someone be kind enough to simply list out the steps needed to crop my photos for "commercial printing friendly".

I intend to sign-up for a CS3/4 course, anyone have any recommendations???

Many thanks....................................................

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
you can:

1) crop your photo using photoshop before you send it in for printing..

frankly speaking, on how to do this with the correct ASPECT RATIO, you could have googled the answer easily. you can read this, something on cropping..

this mentions how to do it; i quote:

Select the marquee tool. In menu bar select "Fixed Aspect Ratio". For 35mm it will be either 3:2 or 2:3 depending on vertical or horizontal format. Drag marquee tool across image until you get the crop area you want. Go to "Image>crop" and select and you are in business. The aspect ratio will not change regardless of the size of crop.
marquee tool is top left in subsequent picture, the one that looks like a dotted box:

2) tell the labs that you want them to print your entire image and leave white borders. then you can cut yourself carefully and properly.

3) tell the labs to crop for you

mabmy

Jan 19, 2009
Simei
Hi

I am using Oly E-520.

I heard from somewhere saying about printing photos of 4/3 format, as generally most shops (even Canon Slyphy printers) are all printing on standard (3:2 format). Else if I send the photos without cropping, I may not get the photos printed in the way I wanted cos actual photos size and printed size differs.

I had CS3 loaded in my pc but don't know how to use it to crop my photos to the correct size for printing, cos my mum wanted some photos she had taken with some relatives by this weekend.

I will greatly appreciate someone be kind enough to simply list out the steps needed to crop my photos for "commercial printing friendly".

I intend to sign-up for a CS3/4 course, anyone have any recommendations???

Many thanks....................................................
Is there really much difference when it comes to printing a picture form a 4/3 system? I mean, i am using E-420 and i have no problem printing the pictures that i took whether in landscape or portrait mode. No croppings done and i still get the full picture. :dunno:

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
Is there really much difference when it comes to printing a picture form a 4/3 system? I mean, i am using E-420 and i have no problem printing the pictures that i took whether in landscape or portrait mode. No croppings done and i still get the full picture. :dunno:
i think what the ts means is that for some print labs, the aspect ratio is usually 3:2 print out (for common sizes like 4r , s8r)..

4/3 cameras give 4:3 output natively, i think. that's what he means, so handing the lab a 4:3 image will result in either cropped image or image with space.

anyways, here are the common print sizes nowadays, you can look at request the prints with right aspect ratio, i guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_photographic_print_sizes

alternatively, i think there is probably an option in olympus dslr to give 3:2 output.. then no problem most of the time.

sleeeepys

Aug 2, 2008
Many thanks for all yr advise. I had managed to crop the photos to 2:3 format for 4R printing.

I don't think there is a function on the camera to set the output to 2:3 format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom