How to create the "old-school photo" effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubber Duckie

Sep 2, 2006
Tampines
Please advise on how to create the "old-school photo" effect.
Here is an example.

picnic-wedding-ideas.jpg

nashville-wedding-10.jpg

nashville-wedding-2.jpg

(photos are takened from www.oncewed.com)

Last edited:
try sing old school lenses=) they have different coatings or simpler designs and mostly optimized for BW shooting. you get the 'old school contrast'. but each lens has its own "character" so might have to try afew. so far i like minolta MC, canon FD and some old yashica glass. no $ to try ziess r leica so not sure about those.

which ones are you specifically talking about? different things being done here, obviously.

the first few are a result of high contrast and saturation, the last few are a result of xpro (cross process)

Ben, old lenses may not be the best investment for me as I'm on a budget for experimenting, but thanks.

Nightmare, thanks for the short post-photo explanation of the photos.
I'm interested in the "high contrast and saturation" effect.
Do you know where I can find such tutorials, will do a search as well.
Please advise.

Here's a tutorial I've found that seem to be pretty close.
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-digital-photos-look-like-lomo-photography

i don't think this is particularly focused on emulating a lomo look, one thing is missing for sure, the vignetting.

cross process is not hard to find, for high contrast and saturation, just look for tutorials on "curves", the xpro tutorials should touch on these as well, albeit with individual curve channels rather than the general curve channel.

btw you should take note of the fact that high contrast and high sat can be very nice, but in some cases, like the ones where you have posted, having a riot of colours can lead to a generally messy feel about the picture. so applying it at the right place at the right time is just as essential as knowing how to apply it.

for high contrast, try this setting in ps.
go to channel mixer, increase each channel's main colour to 150% and the remaining two decrease to -25%. so it becomes: red channel (R = 150% G = -25% B = -25%), Green channel (R = -25% G = 150 % B = -25%), Blue Channel (R = -25% G = -25% B = 150%) that should gives higher contrast. Good luck :D

hey, this is a good one,

Blueshift, I've tried your method, it's not too close to what I want to achieve.
Nightmare, I've just learned to apply the "s" curve and I'm almost there, the colours are more vibrant and contrasty.

Thanks people!

generally high contrast and playing around with the curves...

nightmare showed me this fabolous photoshop action that pretty much does it for you a while back but i can't seem to find the link...

generally high contrast and playing around with the curves...

nightmare showed me this fabolous photoshop action that pretty much does it for you a while back but i can't seem to find the link...

urban acid, look in atncentral.com.. ;)

it will give you tones like second from bottom , left hand side, i.e. dark greenish

it is just a form of xpro

atncentral is fantastic!
Lomo effect is just a click away!
Cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.