How to create smoke on water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddballz

Apr 24, 2008
Hi all,

I'll b going for my Redang trip soon. I have noticed some pics that were taken off at the seaside during sunset have those smokey effect on the sea water and the clouds are slightly outlined.

May i know how to create such effect on my settings like ISO 100 or 200 etc.

Mine is a Canon 450D with 80-55mm kit 1 lens.

Cheers,

i assume u r refering to long exposure of the waves (like waterfall effects) on the water surface.

Listen to Deep Purple's Smoke on the water.. you will get the idea. :bsmilie:

Seriously, the smoke is actually waves, taken using long exposure (long shutter timings to achieve the smokey effect). You will need a tripod and time to experiment with the different shutter speed. Also u might need a ND filter to prevent over exposure.

Google about long exposure or read this http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2007/11/18/shooting-waterfalls/. This is for shooting waterfall but it's the same theory.

redang! nice stuff..

Yup.. play around with your shutter speed..try out different shutter speed to see what different outcome it can produce :)

usually work better under low light.. sunset/sunrise/afterdark..

Hi all,

Thanks for all the reply. I'm a newbie first time with SLR so shutter speed izzit the ISO?

:confused:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the reply. I'm a newbie first time with SLR so shutter speed izzit the ISO?

Wah.. bro.. suggest you RTM(read the manual) first!
Shutter speed is not ISO! Shutter speed is the time between the shutter opens to let the light in till it closes. The longer the shutter time, the more light it let in. In you cam, set the mode to Tv mode. Pls read and learn more before you go.

Ok, but i'm curious on the effect that makes the sea waves so nice.

What is the best time to have such effect? Sunset?

Learn Aperture, shutter, ISO.

Shutter speed goes in seconds.
1/4000 of a second
All the way to
30 second for 450d i think.

Try a shutter speed of 4-5 seconds. adjust ard there.

waves reflect light.

So opening your shutter longer makes the camera capture all the light that is caused by the reflections on the moving water (yes the water is moving but your cam capture it as your so-called smoke).

sunset would be good. but tricky.

i'd suggest u go to our local beaches and practice beforehand.

Wah.. bro.. suggest you RTM(read the manual) first!
Shutter speed is not ISO! Shutter speed is the time between the shutter opens to let the light in till it closes. The longer the shutter time, the more light it let in. In you cam, set the mode to Av mode. Pls read and learn more before you go.

bro, i suppose u were trying to say TV, i'm quite sure AV is aperture priority.

anytime, you just have to have the appropriate filters for not so good timings, i.e. in broad daylight you can lengthen exposure by using neutral density filters in front of your lens. as to what an nd filter is, go and google.

sunset is a good time, because the smokey effect goes well with dramatic lighting

but so long as you think the scene is good for it, why not- it works especially well with rocks in the foreground.

anyways, how LONG you want to set the exposure depends on how close you are to the water. the closer you are, the less time you need to "smooth it out".

Hi all,

It would be good if you take up basic photography class and/or buy book 'Understanding Exposure".......

A slower shuttter speed should enable u to capture the mist like effect.

I got a better idea.. throw somw dry ice.. u will get the smoke

Slower shutter will create the effect? I will give it a try at ECP

Hi all,

I'll b going for my Redang trip soon. I have noticed some pics that were taken off at the seaside during sunset have those smokey effect on the sea water and the clouds are slightly outlined.

May i know how to create such effect on my settings like ISO 100 or 200 etc.

Mine is a Canon 450D with 80-55mm kit 1 lens.

Cheers,

Is this what you are referring to? You have to use long exposures. Check out the properties of the pictures.

2445451742_ebe24f6e06.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xin-qing/2445451742/in/photostream/

2444625363_124f0ec25a.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xin-qing/2444625363/

YUP! Very nice!

- use iso100
- set to shutter priority (Tv)
- stabilize your camera using a tripod. preferably with a shutter release cable to prevent camera shake.
- if it is too bright, use a neutral density filter as suggested by some. for me, i use a polarizing filter...
- try on a few shots with different exposure time (between 2 to 6 seconds). Try until you like the effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.