How to create sharp pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werty

Mar 31, 2007
I've got this prob of my photos being sharp. I wonder whether it is me or the lens.... using sigma 18mm-200mm on eos 350. is it my aperture too low?

NPNT. Show us some pictures first and what aperture size are you using? What's the light condition?

Other than equipment issues, sharpness depends on:

1) Focus
2) Shooting technique (can be helped with monopod/tripod/IS)

Get these two right, and if it still isn't working it's your equipment's fault.

Just to add on try using F/8 onward...You will get sharper pics...;)

Cannot see your pictures!

Usage of the link that you linked to also shows a broken link.

1/400,F/6.3
5.JPG

5crop.JPG

Please tell me what's wrong with these pictures. Is it off focus, motion blur or lack DOF blur?? I personally feel its off focus.... Change lens????

How come all same picture ?

White box with red cross
?

i works jus now......... i've exceed the data transfer limit....... haha

Since werty is kind of new, here is how to post a pic in CS. Or your hosting site must be able to hotlink the picture(s). :)

Only 5 on flickr looks slightly problematic, focus a bit off.

The rest are fine what. You're talking about digital you know, when you crop obviously there will be some softness even if you have the UBER processor and the UBER lens.

I thought that's considered blur too ? How to judge if a pic is blur or sharp??

Some of us are born with unsteady hands. To solve this, shoot with a tripod or get a camera with an IS, image stabilizer (as in Canon & Olympus term) or in Nikon's term VR (Vibration Reduction).
:)

Just shoot something stationary like a battery placed on a table. Use tripod and set on timer, or use release cable if u hv. Vary the aperture and see the difference. The pix u posted could be due to either motion blur by the plant itself or handshake.

I've got this prob of my photos being sharp. I wonder whether it is me or the lens.... using sigma 18mm-200mm on eos 350. is it my aperture too low?

you should judge sharpness based on your original pixel size at 300DPI.

at optimal situation of stillness, a higher megapixel picture with a larger sensor size and quality, will allow you to crop to a larger extent with preservation of details smoothness.

some pointers for sharp pictures:

1. shutter speed. I think you r using ur tele at the long end. the rule of thumb is the shutter speed shld not be less than 1/focal length. So if u shooting at 200mm, then the shutter must be 1/200 or faster.

2. this is a rule of thumb. if, eg u hv been to NS and are a sniper or marksman, then maybe you can shoot as low as 1/60 ~ 1/80 even at 200mm and can still get UBER sharp pic. But success rate will drop, ie maybe 5 out of 10 shots are that sharp.

3. aperture do affect sharpness namely the parts of the picture outside the DOF (depth of field) is not sharp. But it is a different kind of blurness (called bokeh) from those in your pic. In fact your pic has no sharp at all but all blur. Thus it is most likely low shutter speed. check your EXIF.

4. and then WHAT is sharp? for me sharp is I can see all significant details at 100% zoom at the least, if not more. And 100% zoom means displayed at the native resoluton of yor display media, eg for a LCD/CRT, with a native resolution of 72 dpi, and if your picture is 3000 x 2000 dpi, then you ought to view the image at 42"x28". If at that size you are not getting details where you had focused then it is not sharp.

5. Technically sharpness is defined by the ability to tell apart closely spaced alternating black and white lines of a certain constant contrast ratio. This measure is used to specify the lens sharpness in something called an MTF chart. You can find it for your lens. But hard to translate these data to real world image. So use your eyes at 100% zoom and if you hv opportunities compare with another lens.

But you first need to overcome your hand shake and use an appropriately high shutter speed to get some sharpness where you have focused.

to test your equipment

1. mount camera on a steady tripod (to eliminate chance of camera shake)
2. use fast shutter speed (also to eliminate chance of camera shake)
3. shoot stationary object (to eliminate subject movement)
4. shoot at a place without the wind factor (also to eliminate subject movement)
5. have enough light to shoot with a fast shutter speed and stop down your lens at least 2 stops
6. have enough DOF to cover your subject
7. focus

Thanks everyone for guidelines!~ I think flickr sightly sharpen my photos?? blurrer on the original.....

Thanks everyone for guidelines!~ I think flickr sightly sharpen my photos?? blurrer on the original.....

think your monitor got problem. mayeb because you reduce the size so it looks sharoer. happens most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.