how to create 70s look and feel using dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

queborg

Jul 12, 2007
i am basically trying to capture some portraits having the 70s look and feel.
what i need to do to achieve this

appreciate your advise

What do you mean? A sepia mode?
For canon 350D, you can get a sepia look by choosing monochrome and sepia if i recall correctly.

Styling and location most important, far more than the camera.

u need to retouch in photoshop...no way of getting it from in camera...

appreciate your advise

can try taking a piece of cheap skylight filter (abit on the yellow side) then take a hair spray and spray the filter, create a misty feel.

then set your camera white balance to about 5.5k, or daylight balanced. film original setting.

(above are just in theory, no harm trying)

TS, What kind of shots are you talking about? Street, portrait? If street shot it is difficult, you see,people dress very differently in the 70's, the clothings, the hairstyles moreover the buildings, vehicles, ... etc, everything!! Unless you can time travel back :bsmilie: :bsmilie: take some shots from then and come back to 2007. I think it is hard to create a real 70's feel for street shots. I love retros too, but only done some indoor model portraits in 70's clothing and hairstyle with the help of some retro props (telephones, TVs,...). For street shot, even if you PS a place taken today, it still lacks the retro feel, looks "fake" because everything you see today is simply too modern and new. My 1 cent.

thanks folks... basically i am trying to capture the mood, feel and warmth of the pictures like those 70s photos or home videos.

thanks for the advise, i will experiment...:)

saturday_night_fever_big.jpg

the 70's look.

:what: Can you elaborate more on what you mean by 70's look and feel?

put tacky clothes on the model and big hair and bad makeup? :bsmilie:

appreciate your advise

Use a D70s to shoot? :p

;p This is degenerating into OT real quick...

shoot with cloudy or shade WB, the image will look super warm,
than desaturated a little at photoshop, so it looks like faded and off color photos from the 70's

D40s is 40s? D80s is 80s? :bsmilie:

then D2X will be shooting light years ahead! ;p

Anyway.. interesting topic.. I think i'll try a shot wif super high ISO (noisy) then super enhanced color in ps.. maybe will look '70s'.. :bsmilie:

then D2X will be shooting light years ahead! ;p

Anyway.. interesting topic.. I think i'll try a shot wif super high ISO (noisy) then super enhanced color in ps.. maybe will look '70s'.. :bsmilie:

Remember to put in some magenta-blue cast also..

Status
Not open for further replies.