how to create 4 tiles like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimcraze

Hi,

I used to be able to create a photo with 4 tiles on it by downloading a filter from the net. I wish to be able to do that again but i have lost the website of the filter. There is no way i can retrieve the filter as it was kept in my old computer which has been given away. Can anyone help please???

birds1_sized_1.jpg

swimcraze said:
Hi,

I used to be able to create a photo with 4 tiles on it by downloading a filter from the net. I wish to be able to do that again but i have lost the website of the filter. There is no way i can retrieve the filter as it was kept in my old computer which has been given away. Can anyone help please???

Hi Swimcraze,
This method will work with PhotoShop v4 or higher.

1) Enable rulers (View / Rulers)

2) Resize the 4 images in PS to the same size, keep the files open and minimised in PS

3) Create a new blank file that is twice the dimensions of the pictures you have resized, eg: if each picture is 600 x 400 pixels, create a blank file (file / new) that is 1200 x 800.

4) Add a layer to the blank file (Layer / New )

5) Fill the new layer with any colour using the paintbucket tool.

6) Move your mouse cursor over one of the rulers, left click on the ruler with your mouse and drag down over the new blank file. If you do this right you'll drag a blue guideline down that will hesitate when you reach the center of the new image area. Repeat for the other ruler.

At this point you should have a blank image with 4 boxes created by the guidelines. You can now delete the filled in layer by using the trashcan icon in the layers roll up box, or you can ignore it as it will be underneath your final stack of images.

7) Using the Window menu item open file list swap in to one of the photos you've resized.

8) Use the 'Select ALL' menu item to select the entire image

9) Edit / Copy to copy the image to clipboard

10 ) Swap to the blank image you have created

11) Edit / Paste to paste the image to the new blank image.

12) Use the "Move tool" to move the image in to one of the boxes bounded by the guidelines.

13) Repeat Steps 7~11 for each other image you want to add to the image.

14) Use the "Layer Flatten" command to flatten all of the layers in to one layer.

15) Save file.

It might look like a complex proceedure, but after you've done a few it becomes a very quick and effective way to combine multiple images in to one image. With practice the whole process only takes a couple of minutes per image.

swimcraze said:

montage from the ImageMagick suite does this, among many other things. It's free.

You can do the same using Picture Package inside Photoshop. Just specify the image you want to put into each part of the 4-tiles when you are inside Picture Package otherwise the default is the same image duplicated in the 4-tiles. You can also create your own Picture Package template if say you want something different (more tiles, different tile sizes)

I have also seen some photoshop actions to do montages but essentially its the same end effect.

---
Edit : Picture Package is found in Photoshop under File -- Automate -- Picture Package
---

thanks everyone for your help, esp Ian for your lengthy instruction :thumbsup:

i am still hoping to find the filter i used before...it is a really direct simple method to create the 4 tiles. sigh...

swimcraze said:
thanks everyone for your help, esp Ian for your lengthy instruction :thumbsup:

i am still hoping to find the filter i used before...it is a really direct simple method to create the 4 tiles. sigh...
If you follow Ian's instructions, you can do a record of the actions and use it like your filter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.