How to correct the horizontal?

hedgehog05

Nov 27, 2008
Hi guys,

I am lousy in PP. One of my picture came out not really straight. How do i correct it? I only have Digital Photo Professional by Canon. Any kind soul can teach me?

How not straight? Horizon line is not straight? Or buildings not straight? Or other problems?

Horizon line not straight is the easiest but never used DPP. Photoshop or Lightroom, or I think most tools will allow you to change the angle of the photo until you got your straight horizon.

Hi guys,

I am lousy in PP. One of my picture came out not really straight. How do i correct it? I only have Digital Photo Professional by Canon. Any kind soul can teach me?

How not straight? Horizon line is not straight? Or buildings not straight? Or other problems?

Horizon line not straight is the easiest but never used DPP. Photoshop or Lightroom, or I think most tools will allow you to change the angle of the photo until you got your straight horizon.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps you want to post the picture here so we can understand your query better.

Like Wildcat said, Photoshop or Lightroom are the easiest to use provided we are talking about the far horizon. Any other horizon (buildings) are difficult to correct as it is lens distortion and to correct it would certainly use a different technique. :cool:

4957516077_70c500baae_z.jpg

Can this be save?

Last edited:
Which horizontal are you referring to? The top one is level. The bottom one is very slightly tilted. Is that the one you want to straighten?

horizontalj.jpg

Which horizontal are you referring to? The top one is level. The bottom one is very slightly tilted. Is that the one you want to straighten?

horizontalj.jpg

Those are not the only two. You also have to look at the vertical line for the structure ;) and yes, it depends on what the TS means by making straight. I dunno why he keeps being ambiguous about which line he wants to straighten. For me, it would be the centre structure but if you straighten that, the entire frame (the lines you drew) would be out and that would look even weirder.

Yes, it can be saved, but not easily and not without Photoshop :rolleyes:

I like how you added a very straight + sign also. Basically puts all the horizontal and vertical straight lines in place :thumbsup:
I know at least one person in here who may do a very complex liquefy operation

Those are not the only two.
I'm not trying to analyze the image. I'm just trying to find out what the OP is referring to by "horizontal."

For me, it would be the centre structure but if you straighten that, the entire frame (the lines you drew) would be out and that would look even weirder.

Not necessarily If you skewed the image horizontally, that would change the angle of the vertical without affecting the hornzontals.

Those are not the only two. You also have to look at the vertical line for the structure ;) and yes, it depends on what the TS means by making straight. I dunno why he keeps being ambiguous about which line he wants to straighten. For me, it would be the centre structure but if you straighten that, the entire frame (the lines you drew) would be out and that would look even weirder.

Yes, it can be saved, but not easily and not without Photoshop :rolleyes:

I like how you added a very straight + sign also. Basically puts all the horizontal and vertical straight lines in place :thumbsup:
I know at least one person in here who may do a very complex liquefy operation

TS, is that what you meant? To straighten everything like the example using your photo?

Since I am bored... decided to straighten the structure. Also noticed that the space between the frame and the structure is not equal :rolleyes:

horizontalj2-1.jpg

I'm not trying to analyze the image. I'm just trying to find out what the OP is referring to by "horizontal."

Not necessarily If you skewed the image horizontally, that would change the angle of the vertical without affecting the hornzontals.

No lah, I not talking about you, but rather explaining about the ambiguity of the situation TS has presented (again) :bsmilie: I think you did a rather good job actually. But there's too many questionable variables here already. Then if make changes, the structure looks weirder (thinner) and stuff also.

I'd just leave the original pic as is.

Last edited:
eh, looks quite tricky leh... the frame is tilted relative to the structure behind. Would be interested to see how you guys can fix this.

Can this be save?

I say save it for this type of photo.

This is one of those old buildings in ayutthaya (if I am not mistaken) and they are centuries old at least, and by normal, the buildings is not straight to begin with as the years goes by. Making it too straight will make it look weird instead!

Dun be too bothered or obsessed by this horizon thingy...

I only look at horizon levels when its the coastal lines (where the sea meets the sky)... and some other modern building architectures.

Hi guys,

i don't know what "digital photo professional" is, but if you got it free with your camera, then i think suffice to say, you need at least GIMP (which is FOC).

i am not sure if GIMP has the tools you require, but it should have.

otherwise, you probably need photoshop.

i don't really want to try correcting this photograph because:

a) you need to try it yourself, and if i correct the image using liquify you won't be able to do it without trying yourself, and i can't really do much other than supply the liquify mesh... which means you learnt nothing.

b) to me, i would not keep this photo. that's just me, and i'm just stating a fact, so please don't take this the wrong way.

Using DPP, click on Tools on the menu bar -> Start Trimming/Angle Adjustment Tool

You can adjust your horizon from here.

28mpzee.png