How to copy slides / Photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hptay

Dec 12, 2002
www.pbase.com
Hi there,

I got a bunch of old slides and photographs that I will like to digitise and was wondering if anyone has got a preferred method of digitising to recommend?
Thought of scanning them one by one... but the thought of removing them from the album, scan, and then back to the album is kind of tedious... especially since they run into the thousands. :sweat:

Anyone tried to snap images of slide and photographs b4? any tips to share?

See and depending on what you expect from your scans. The best (and most expensive scans) are from drum scans, probably at $5-10 per frame and quality also depending on lab operator? The next best are a good lab operator with the commercial machines (not drum but high end sensor) like the FDI machines. But if operator not helping or good in this also no use. The 3rd best is high end home film scanners, like the Nikon Coolscan 5000 and (for MF) the Coolscan 9000, or the Konica Minolta Elite 5400.

My advice is to get the Nikon Coldscan 5000 ($2400+/-), get the adapter here or here to mass scan automated process it. Off course you must do a few scan to see which setting is great generally. If your mounted slides are good with minimal dust and no colour shift, a frame will take you a min+? So maybe 50 frame typically take you 1++ hour (generally or more it really depends on the settings like ICE, GEM, ROC etc) and you do about 200 per day. So say you have 5000 you need about a month or so? After that you can sell the scanner to me at $1500 hehe ;)

Christopher

hptay said:
Thought of scanning them one by one... but the thought of removing them from the album, scan, and then back to the album is kind of tedious... especially since they run into the thousands. :sweat:

Which ever method you choose, you will still have to remove them one by one.

I'm exploring a way to do a quickly digitize the slides using my camera, if it works well, each slide will only take about 10 seconds. Hopefully the quality is above average, but there will be none of those fancy features (eg. ICE) you see on the scanners. But it still does not solve your problem above.

Cheers,

Its the scanning part that I am really worried about. Heard some scans can take up to a few minutes??

Removing them and putting them back is unaviodable but it certainly adds to the work.

hptay said:
Its the scanning part that I am really worried about. Heard some scans can take up to a few minutes??

Removing them and putting them back is unaviodable but it certainly adds to the work.

Thats why I recommend you getting a 50 slide mount automated loader to take the time off in managing the scans. Then use these time to cook, read books, or do other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.