How to convert wma files to mp3 format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleu

Oct 8, 2003
Got an ipod, trying to load it with songs already on my PC but these are Windows Media Audio files which play very well in Windows Media Player but not in iTunes. How to convert to ipod/iTunes playable format? thanks.

just drop the wma into itunes library window. they should get converted to mp3 or aac.

i tried to open wma files from iTunes, didn't work. any other ways?

are you running itunes 6? just drop the wma into the library window and it should ask you if you want to convert.

unless its protected wma, else you can convert any wma into mp3/aac format in itunes

From iTunes Help on Windows :
You can add songs or other audio files from your computer's desktop to your iTunes library.

Drag the audio file from the desktop to the Library in the Source list (or choose File > "Add File to Library" and select the song file).

If the file is an unprotected WMA file and you have Windows Media Player Series 9 or later installed, iTunes makes a copy of the file in AAC format - or whatever format is chosen in the Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences (in the Importing section) - and adds it to your iTunes library. The original WMA file remains unchanged. You can't add protected WMA files to iTunes.

you need TWO steps:

1. burn it out as an AUDIO cd
2. rip the cd to get back the files as .mp3 files

Thanks for all suggestions. madmacs is right, it's almost as easy as that. I had tried to open wma files in iTunes which didn't work. Can't drag and drop but can use 'add file' and it will be converted according to conversion setting (AAC, mp3, etc).

Thansks!

Use Adobe Audition.

rncw said:
i'm using "All to MP3 Converter" to convery wma file to MP3

http://www.wma-mp3.com/?from_all2mp3

That is a good software, used it once when I need to convert files urgently and needed some rest. Everything goes automated, and the next day, everything is ready to transfer into my phone. :thumbsup:

Although, quality and control wise, its not entirely my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.