How to convert MPEG4 to other music formats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I have a friend who gave me some MPEG4 music files. Is there a way to convert them to other formats eg WMA or MP3 so that I can play on an MP3 player that does not support MPEG4?

Thanks!

mpeg4 is usually movie file...so i dunno if your "mpeg4 music file" is really a music file?? (ie does it have movig images) but if your file is actually a movie file the u got to use movie editing software to extract the audio part and export as a mp3 file

anyway if the files are actually music files, then u can try dbpoweramp (made aby a company called "illustrate") http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ . its a free version.

or u can try others like ezcddax converter but u need the serial

Hi user111,

Thanks! Ok will go try it out.

Yes, I've heard mpeg4 being movie files, but the mpeg4 that my friend gave me are simply music ones. :dunno:

Was told mpg4 is supported by Apple's iPod but not Creative's. So I can't listen to the music on my Creative MuVo MP3 player.

then maybe the file extension is being named wrongly..

think he probably means songs encoded using iTunes in AAC format. You can download iTunes from Apple and use iTunes to convert those .m4a files to .mp3 format.

i think your player doesn't have the necessary codec or pluggin to play the move, and only the sound comes out.

try to search for the relevent pluggin or codec, install and then play again?

caseytan said:
think he probably means songs encoded using iTunes in AAC format. You can download iTunes from Apple and use iTunes to convert those .m4a files to .mp3 format.

MPEG4 is a video format. As well as the codec they defined a file format. The file format is based on Quicktime apparently.

The audio in a video file I think you will find is still MPEG Layer 2 or MPEG Layer 3 audio. What you need is a program to 'demux' out the audio track.

All these so called 'files formats' are really just different 'containers' for holding video and audio data.
There are something like 27 video and audio formats supported by the Quicktime file format. The popular AVI file format probably has an even longer list, but the list is much the same list as Quicktime....

matthew said:
MPEG4 is a video format. As well as the codec they defined a file format. The file format is based on Quicktime apparently.

The audio in a video file I think you will find is still MPEG Layer 2 or MPEG Layer 3 audio. What you need is a program to 'demux' out the audio track.

All these so called 'files formats' are really just different 'containers' for holding video and audio data.
There are something like 27 video and audio formats supported by the Quicktime file format. The popular AVI file format probably has an even longer list, but the list is much the same list as Quicktime....

http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/standards/mpeg-4/mpeg-4.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.