how to convert m mount to pentax mount(k5)

jeediver

Jul 22, 2004
anyone tried using the leica m mount lens on a k5 body? can it be done?

thank you for the link. i guess i had to keep the lens for leica m mount camera.

Note that modified R mounts are not the most elegant as well as the aperture ring can turn pass the original range.

I'm sure you can use your Leica R mount lenses on our yet-to-be-released Pentax EVIL cameras ;p

i still waiting for pentax to announce a digital FF camera..

I'm sure you can use your Leica R mount lenses on our yet-to-be-released Pentax EVIL cameras ;p

Is this another hint?? :think:

Hi all,

I would like to know what is the differences between all these mounts.

Presently, I own a K-7 with the kit lenses that came along with it.
I am thinking of getting a prime lens and I have read about them in the internet but there are many types....eg, DA, FA, DA*....
Can help me to understand what these means?
Thank you.

Hi all,

I would like to know what is the differences between all these mounts.

Presently, I own a K-7 with the kit lenses that came along with it.
I am thinking of getting a prime lens and I have read about them in the internet but there are many types....eg, DA, FA, DA*....
Can help me to understand what these means?
Thank you.

They are all the same - pentax k mount.

FA is the previous generation. it has an aperture ring and can be used for film and digital cameras. it also has an aperture ring.

DA is the current generation of lenses. your k7 kit should be a DA lens. no aperture ring and some cannot be used on film camera cos image circle doesn't cover full 35mm width. will cause vignetting.

DA* is just very expensive DA models :bsmilie: superior lens coating, constant aperture, bigger aperture size and SDM motor for quieter AF.

hope this helps.

They are all the same - pentax k mount.

FA is the previous generation. it has an aperture ring and can be used for film and digital cameras. it also has an aperture ring.

DA is the current generation of lenses. your k7 kit should be a DA lens. no aperture ring and some cannot be used on film camera cos image circle doesn't cover full 35mm width. will cause vignetting.

DA* is just very expensive DA models :bsmilie: superior lens coating, constant aperture, bigger aperture size and SDM motor for quieter AF.

hope this helps.

Thank you for excellent explanation... it seems much clearer now...

Thank you detritus for the clear explanation.

One more question....
A friend of mine has a Pentax K1000 film SLR which is spoilt. He has a few lenses for his K1000. Is it possible to use his lenses for my K7?

Thank you detritus for the clear explanation.

One more question....
A friend of mine has a Pentax K1000 film SLR which is spoilt. He has a few lenses for his K1000. Is it possible to use his lenses for my K7?

definitely can mount... but depending on what lenses they are, u may lose certain functions.

if they are old MF lenses, they would be either K, M or A series lenses. A series lenses are almost fully functional - lens can p-ttl, allows multi-segment metering, can set aperture using camera body. everything except AF.

K and M series don't have the A setting on the aperture ring so u can't set aperture from the the camera body... have to manually click the aperture ring from the lens and press green button to meter. can't use flash in p-ttl mode and can't use multi segmented metering as well.

Thanks again for the info.
I will check on his lenses and if needed, will post the pictures of the lenses and seek your opinion.

Never say never, right? ;)

Just not a good time to release a digital FF SLR yet. But when time comes, anything is possible :)
Actually, I do not quite wish that they release a FF as I built my lens collection based on APS-C or rather I quite a few DA lenses. Ok, even if they were to release a FF, I would still stick to the APS-C - hopefully they will still maintain the enthusiast class bodies like the k7/k5 for APS-C and not lower the format for their entry bodies only. That's my only wish...

Last edited:
Actually, I do not quite wish that they release a FF as I built my lens collection based on APS-C or rather I quite a few DA lenses. Ok, even if they were to release a FF, I would still stick to the APS-C - hopefully they will still maintain the enthusiast class bodies like the k7/k5 for APS-C and not lower the format for their entry bodies only. That's my only wish...

then why were u so keen to own that voigtlander 125? ;p its a FF lens leh...