How to convert Colour pic to B&W using Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chew Siow Ming

Dec 21, 2004
Singapore
can any CS'ian share experiance in how to convert a colored photograph into black & white using photoshop please, do i just move all colour slider to 0% in the <channel mixer> or there are additional steps that i need to perform ?

theres a few methods. (courtesy of scott kelby).

a. use lightness channel - under image menu- mode - lab color & convert RGB photo into lab color mode. then go to channels palette and click on lightness palette.. under image menu, under mode, chose graysclale.

b. use channel mixture. from create new adjustment layer. turn on monochrome checkbox at the bottm dialog.

c. scotts mthod - press D to set foreground colour to black, then from create new adjustment layer, choose gradient map. click ok to apply it to photo. then go to layers palette, chose channel mixer. use this to adjust.

d. calculations method - open the color photo. under image menu, choose calculations. then adjust the channels and blend modes using the pop up menus. also, change blending pop-up menu from multiply to overlay... (can adjust further using opacity setting)

Chew Siow Ming said:
can any CS'ian share experiance in how to convert a colored photograph into black & white using photoshop please, do i just move all colour slider to 0% in the <channel mixer> or there are additional steps that i need to perform ?

For using <channel mixer>, you click ON on monochrome checkbox,
set all the 3 individual channels add up to be 100%, no all at 0%

To add on to channel mixer method, a possible "refinement" is to create 3 separate layers with monochrome checkbox checked, then have Red 100% for one layer, Green 100% for another, Blue 100% for the third. Slide opacity and experiment with the order of layers for taste.

this question keeps popping up...maybe should have a stickky thread or FAQ for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.