How to convert Canon raw to jpeg in Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimist

Jan 30, 2007
I am familiar with Windows PC but not Mac. I copied a folder of canon photo raw files into a Mac. There is no problem viewing the photos in thumbnail formats. When I double-clicked on a photo, GIMP was launched and I was able to edit the photo.

How do I batch process selected photos into jpeg format? I am using DPP in Windows but I was hoping I need not load DPP into the Mac. Thanks in advance.

i believe that canon software are also available on the macintosh platform
photoshop can also do it

Your choices are plenty

OS X - if you have the latest version
1) open in Preview, then file > save as > JPG
2) import into iPhoto, then export as JPG

Extra software - editing and more
3) buy some software like Photoshop or Lightroom; do the same and more

or

4) use the software that comes with your Canon camera. The CD has Mac versions of DPP, and much more

You can use OSX's automator to batch convert if you want to use preview to convert.. but your mac must have installed the latest raw update from apple.. If you use photoshop, you can create an action and use the automate>batch

not sure of how mac converts raws to jpg but im thinking that its possible that u not getting the full raw capabilities, may end up getting washed out shots or something...

Your choices are plenty

OS X - if you have the latest version
1) open in Preview, then file > save as > JPG
2) import into iPhoto, then export as JPG

Extra software - editing and more
3) buy some software like Photoshop or Lightroom; do the same and more

or

4) use the software that comes with your Canon camera. The CD has Mac versions of DPP, and much more

I tried option 1, but the dropdown window shows TIFF and other formats, except JPG. I guess I will load DPP into the Mac. It's my daughter's notebook. It should be easier for her to learn the new software, rather than this old man learning new trick. Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Appreciate it.

not sure of how mac converts raws to jpg but im thinking that its possible that u not getting the full raw capabilities, may end up getting washed out shots or something...

Try for yourself first - then feed back if you're really getting 'or something'...

Try for yourself first - then feed back if you're really getting 'or something'...
was hoping someone would try :D in any case..i dun think preview can directly convert to jpg..like prev msg, i can get tiff... comparing with the tiff from lightroom, the lightroom colours seem a bit more saturated n vibrant... and the preview version looks overexposed..

I took a random cr2 file that i have for this... left side is preview, right side is lightroom

LpreviewRlightroom.jpg

I tried option 1, but the dropdown window shows TIFF and other formats, except JPG. I guess I will load DPP into the Mac. It's my daughter's notebook. It should be easier for her to learn the new software, rather than this old man learning new trick. Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Appreciate it.

You are right - just checked. Also clear why: RAW is storing more than 8 bits per color, but JPG is only 8 bits. Hence Preview can only save to TIFF (16bit) or PSD Photoshop (16bit). And Preview can't do the conversion to less colors plus mapping.

Yes, your best choice is then DPP

Status
Not open for further replies.