How to control depth of field

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernie1984

Apr 23, 2006
hi guys..was wondering..how do u actually control the dept of field..

i am taking some potrait shots..the background is always clear..how to blur it out? thanks..

i am using a DMC FX50. thanks alot...

i am taking some potrait shots..the background is always clear..how to blur it out? thanks..

P&S can't really do that, in comparison, DSLR vs P&S, a P&S will not get the shallow DOF as compared to DSLR, due to lens and sensor, read somewhere that the sensor is small & nearer to the lenses hence the dof is not that shallow or something... gotta wiki on it.

it'll be harder to do so on a digicam because the sensor is very small which leads to a much deeper DOF (compared to 35mm format DSLR).

A PnS digital cam.....got its own limitation.

if u really want more "control" get a SLR bah. But when u get DSLR....then comes lens.....sigh

depends too...i can achieve very shallow DOF on my powershot G1 too if i shoot wide open and at macro mode

Yes, due to their short focal length used, PnS cameras can only achieve very shallow DOF if subject distance is really very close.

or if u use a very long focal length and get as close as possible....

That makes composition very limited.

That's why PnS can only have very shallow DOF when shooting close-up and Macros.

use the portrait mode.

use aperture, subject distance, focal length

It would have been more useful to tell him to use "a small aperture number, close-up subject distance, long focal length" instead of just throwing out three variables without really pointing out which way to go. What might be obvious to you might not be so to a novice. After all, we are in the Novice corner.

1) zoom in as far as possible
2) compose your shot with the subject as near to you as possible
3) get the background as far away from you and the subject as possible

FZ50 consider as PnS camera??

the zoom is quite long leh..400mm i think.. i saw some samples of photos taken by tt camera.. its DOF effect is quite nice..dun tell me tt joker photoshop it..

the zoom is quite long leh..400mm i think.. i saw some samples of photos taken by tt camera.. its DOF effect is quite nice..dun tell me tt joker photoshop it..

The actual focal length for FZ50 at the longest end is 72mm (420mm equivalent on 35mm format).

72mm isn't every long.

However, due to the very small sensor on the FZ50 ..... 1/1.8" sensor, you can only get very shallow DOF when you move very close to the subjects and use widest aperture.......... i.e. doing close-up/Macro.

When the FZ50 is fully zoomed in and at widest aperture, the field of view is very narrow because of a very small image sensor and therefore helps in isolating the subject from a clean background when the subject is far away and the background is even much further away.

I think u guys made a BIG mistake already..
his camera is the FX 50 and not FZ 50

his one is a compact that zoom from 28-105mm...

The actual focal length for FZ50 at the longest end is 72mm (420mm equivalent on 35mm format).

72mm isn't every long.

However, due to the very small sensor on the FZ50 ..... 1/1.8" sensor, you can only get very shallow DOF when you move very close to the subjects and use widest aperture.......... i.e. doing close-up/Macro.

When the FZ50 is fully zoomed in and at widest aperture, the field of view is very narrow because of a very small image sensor and therefore helps in isolating the subject from a clean background when the subject is far away and the background is even much further away.

For PnS camera, I can achieve a shallow DOF only with close-up or macro or when the main subject is very near :

Close-up : 71.2mm (280mm equivalent on 35mm format, longest focal length on this camera), F/4.2 (largest aperture at this focal length) and I was very very near to the flowers.
dscn0081a400frame.jpg

Main subject is very very near : 8.9mm focal length (the shortest on his camera), F/2.8 (largest) and very very near to the kid infront and the background is very very far away :
dscn0059acopytk9.jpg

But other than that, I use photoshop to select the background and apply a bit of gaussian blur to achieve a shallow DOF effect : 14.7mm (pretty short) and F/7.9 (about smallest at this focal length) to get large DOF to have the head right down to the bottom flowers to be sharp as I was quite close to the statue and shooting from a very low angle (almost lying on the floor and the difference in distance between bottom-to-me and top-to-me is quite large relatively).

dscn0050a400frame.jpg

It's much more difficult to achieve a shallow DOF if we're talking about the slim PnS cameras which have actual focal length not more than 30mm at the longest end (i.e. those with 28-105mm on 35mm format equivalent).

I think u guys made a BIG mistake already..
his camera is the FX 50 and not FZ 50

his one is a compact that zoom from 28-105mm...

He is also the thread starter.

First he mentioned FX50 in the first post. Now he said FZ50 and mentioned 400mm focal length (35mm equivalent).

sorry guys..i'm talking bout Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50

so..the lense is 35 - 420 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.