How to conserve laptop battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qhelix

I'm wondering what's the best way to preserve your laptop battery. According to the manual, leaving the laptop connected to the AC Adapter isn't good as you'll be overcharging the battery, but what if I'm using the laptop at the same time? If my battery is already fully charged should I take it out when I'm using the adapter to power my laptop?

Originally posted by qhelix
I'm wondering what's the best way to preserve your laptop battery. According to the manual, leaving the laptop connected to the AC Adapter isn't good as you'll be overcharging the battery, but what if I'm using the laptop at the same time?

Eh I have been using notebooks for the last few years and I must says this is the 1st time I heard of the overcharging rumour :p

If my battery is already fully charged should I take it out when I'm using the adapter to power my laptop?

Most (if not all) the notebooks do stopp charging after the battery is full. I always leave my notebook (connected to AC) over overnite and battery overcharging is my last worry.

PS : By the way, which laptop are you using? :)

Originally posted by Jason Ho

PS : By the way, which laptop are you using? :)

Using the Toshiba Portege 2000. Haven't really been using it much though, just waiting for school to start.

Actually taking out the battery from the laptop is the best way to preserve the lifetime of the battery, but it's not very practical :). If you do this, you'll need to perform a deep recharge every month or so. Deep recharge means discharging to almost 0% and then charging to 100%.

The next best way is to keep the AC adapter connected when the laptop is on, and disconnect it with not in use. Keeping it connected to the laptop may discharge the battery. I doubt if there is any chance of overcharging because most laptops have electronic circuits that will bypass the battery when it is full.

While using battery power, try a software that can extend the time, like Dachshund Software's Battery Meter. See http://www.dachshund.com/

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll just leave the battery inside my laptop then. Besides I have a spare battery pack and I dont think my laptop battery costs too much to replace once a year (I hope).

yes, most laptop manual will ask u to remove your battey after fully charge and do not plug it to AC for to long. You must take out the battery after charged and continue to work with AC.

But there is too much hassle, usually i don't care. I don't take out the battey. I am using AC for more than 9 hours each day.

yes, battery performance will reduce, maybe 30 mins shorten or more-it is true.

Actually I guess I wont mind taking out the battery, but I'm worried the contacts on both the battery and laptop will get dirty since there's nothing to protect them.

This is what works for me:-

1. When new, go through 2-3 full charge/discharge cycles - meaning charge to 100%, then unplug from AC and use until notebook die. This is to condition the battery.

2. Once battery is conditioned, if working on battery power, let the battery reach a critical level say 2-3% life before re-charging.

FYI, I am on my 3rd battery for my notebook - first one lasted almost two years, 2nd only 3mths because battery was faulty (died within 5 mins of unplugging from AC even tho showing 100% charge).

I can squeeze almost 2hrs 45mins out of my batteries, while my colleagues are lucky to get 30mins - 1hr.

Although the battery is supposedly intelligent, even when the indicator is at 0%, I can still use for another 15-20mins.

Originally posted by lokety
Actually taking out the battery from the laptop is the best way to preserve the lifetime of the battery, but it's not very practical :). If you do this, you'll need to perform a deep recharge every month or so. Deep recharge means discharging to almost 0% and then charging to 100%.

The next best way is to keep the AC adapter connected when the laptop is on, and disconnect it with not in use. Keeping it connected to the laptop may discharge the battery. I doubt if there is any chance of overcharging because most laptops have electronic circuits that will bypass the battery when it is full.

While using battery power, try a software that can extend the time, like Dachshund Software's Battery Meter. See http://www.dachshund.com/

Erm..
The link you posted is down..
I tried to search on google, still cannot find...

Originally posted by lokety
Sorry, it should be http://www.dachshundsoftware.com/ .

I've just downloaded the program, and it does look promising. Now I'm just thinking whether I should actually buy it...it does look kinda expensive for such a small program.

Have you purchased it yourself? Is the increase in battery life obvious? Are there any cheaper alternatives that do the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.