How to... color only a portion of the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlin

Nov 15, 2002
www.pixelpixie.biz
HI guys

I have seen some pics where only a portion of the photo is colorised, while the surrounding area is in B&W. How do I do that in PS? Would appreciate any help

do not know if mine is the orthodox method..

I desaturate the whole picture and then use the histroy brush to brush back the colours into the areas i want coloured.

Hope it helps.

laugh said:

I desaturate the whole picture and then use the histroy brush to brush back the colours into the areas i want coloured.

Hope it helps.

Yup think that is the best way...:)

laugh said:

Hope it helps.

Thanks laugh. Works like a charm :)

laugh said:

Hope it helps.

I finally know what the history brush is used for.. hehe :D

the history brush can be used for many other things. its one simple but yet very powerful tool in photoshop. have fun exploring

I cant seem to do the same for my PS 7 leh.
Keep telling me wat the histroy does not have the same colour so cannot use the history brush :(
confused............. :dunno:

jnifur said:
I cant seem to do the same for my PS 7 leh.
Keep telling me wat the histroy does not have the same colour so cannot use the history brush :(
confused............. :dunno:

Make sure you have not cropped or done any changes to the picture before you apply the history brush and also flatten your image before applyign the history brush. hope this helps

the reason why you cannot paint back is because you might have used the simplest but not the best way of removing colour from the picture... you prob used the grascale function...
this is a different colour mode and when you try to paint colour onto a monotone image, ps gives you error message....
thus, once you have monotoned your picture, make sure that the mode is in either rgb colour mode or cmyk color mode...

then the history brush will work just fine...

Yes, agreed with showtime, you won't be able to use the history brush if you use the change colour mode function, or deleting colour channels method to get b/w. Try using the desaturate function, or monochrome in the channel mixer.

There are several ways of doing it tho.

DSC00725_bw.jpg

My flow, not using the history brush,

1. From the layer menu, select Adjustment Layer, follow by Channel Mixer.
2. From the pop-up Channel Mixer dialog box, click on the Monochrom, somewhere at the bottom left of the dialog.
3. Click OK. Your image will go b/w.
4. In the adjustment layer, select the eraser tool and "brush" on the area that you want to be coloured.
5. Done!

Try it out and post it here! ;)

Finally done!!!!!!!!
Thanks all who have taught me how to do the change.
Thank you! :laugh:

fruits.jpg

* togu clap clap clap

:gbounce: :rbounce: :gbounce:

You might also want to try adjusting the curves too, that'll bring out your colour contrast tremendously.

1. From the Layer Menu, select New Adjustment Layer, click on Curves.
2. In the Curves dialog box, pull the centre point of the curve vertically up, and the bottom left point of the curve horizontally right.

Keep it coming! :sweatsm:

acrylonithrill said:
There's another method. Polygon Lasso/Pen tool, use Feather to make the selection and Inverse Selection, followed by Desaturate. To me that's faster...
That's the method I usually use... Here's a pic using this method:

34922472.jpg

Your workflows were pretty cool...But how do you guys select the a particular portion of the photo (any tips on this) I find that the eraser tool is quite slow, that is it takes a considerable time to erase a particular area specially if it is an irregular shape. The magic tool should help make it fast but only if the shape is not irregular and has a good contrast else it is not accurate... How the experts here do select a particular area in a shortest time possible? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.