How to clean the inside of a rotating polariser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Composition

Sep 18, 2003
I have been using my Hoya 77mm circular polariser for some years.

Recently I have noticed a slight smear in the inside of the polariser due to accumulation of dirt over the years.

Anyone here knows to to dismantle it, clean it and put the 2 rotating pieces back again?

Or do I need to send it back to Hoya?

Who represents Hoya here in Spore?

I have been using my Hoya 77mm circular polariser for some years.

Recently I have noticed a slight smear in the inside of the polariser due to accumulation of dirt over the years.

Anyone here knows to to dismantle it, clean it and put the 2 rotating pieces back again?

Or do I need to send it back to Hoya?

Who represents Hoya here in Spore?

What exactly do mean in the inside of the filter do mean in between the laminate or at the side of the glass. If it's at the edge of the glass you can take it out but you need a vernier caliper and use it as a wrench to remove the screw holding the glass.

Here's the link how to use a vernier caliper as a lens wrench:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=183838

I think it would be better to get a new one then send it back to Hoya. First of all does it affect your photos that bad?

If it doesn't appear on the photo, just leave the dirt alone.

Regards,
Arto.

If it doesn't appear on the photo, just leave the dirt alone.

Regards,
Arto.

I don't specifically see it on my photos like what speckles of dust do.

But whatever blemishes the filter has will inevitably affect the overall quality of the photo.

I don't specifically see it on my photos like what speckles of dust do.

But whatever blemishes the filter has will inevitably affect the overall quality of the photo.
If the dirt is on the edge of filter, it may or might not affect the photo quality depends on what lens do you use. Since we are guessing where and what kind of dirt you mention, it is better to make it clear by shooting the polarizer showing where and what is the dirt is.

Regards,
Arto.

Not worth the hassle to clean it... someone once told me that to clean it you have to actually open it up, I think he said they used special calipers to do this.

../azul123

Not worth the hassle to clean it... someone once told me that to clean it you have to actually open it up, I think he said they used special calipers to do this.
My CP fell apart after I screwed it in too hard once. As I took it out, to my horror, I realised I only took out the front piece. Fortunately, I managed to put it back together again. :sweat: No need for special tools. Hee...

My CP fell apart after I screwed it in too hard once. As I took it out, to my horror, I realised I only took out the front piece. Fortunately, I managed to put it back together again. :sweat: No need for special tools. Hee...

Is it a Hoya?

You meant you can use your hands to unscrew the front and back piece? Plse share with us your finding in greater detail.

Thanks.

Is it a Hoya?

You meant you can use your hands to unscrew the front and back piece? Plse share with us your finding in greater detail.
Not with me now, can't remember the brand, update later. The rotating ring detached from the fixed base. Scary.

where to buy a vernier caliper? pls advise.... thanks

You don't want to buy a vernier caliper he is just using it to open it up A vernier caliper is used for measuring length precisely.

True but it can also be used as a lens wrench. I used it before as one.

You don't want to buy a vernier caliper he is just using it to open it up A vernier caliper is used for measuring length precisely.
No spoon, chopstick also can ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.