How to clean/ remove adhesive stain/ residue from the LCD screen. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfbomb

Feb 16, 2006
Hi Guys,

I tried to change a year+ plus screen protector from my E-PL2 LCD screen but when i took it out it seems the adhesive part of the film was left in the LCD. I tried to clean it with water and alcohol but i fail to remove it.

Anyone has this problem before? Any advice on how to clean it? See below photo for my LCD with some adhesive residue.

Photo7-7-1293856PM.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried using adhesive tape to remove the residue, it works for me sometimes

You can use " Ronson Lighter Fluid" its does not melt or harm plastic. I use this frequently.

Use light alcohol.
Use Goo Remover fluid. Can buy from DIY stores.
Apply only if the LCD is glass covered. Do not use on soft plastic.

I use turpentine or wd40 to remove adhesive residue. But do not apply directly. Use it via a cotton pad.

I use "Goo Gone". Can buy from hardware stores. Fast, effective & clean. No unpleasant smell, residue chemicals etc. For cheap & quick fix, can try adhesive tape as someone suggested.

Last edited:
Best is Zippo lighter fluid (Naphtha), apply to soft cloth. Scotch tape works ok. Eraser may scratch. Alcohol or other solvents may react with the screen/plastics.

My knowledge in organic chemistry suggest you use olive oil. Cheap, easily available, not dangerous, dissolves all kinds of adhesive, inert to plastics or glass. Add a drop or two on tissue, and rub.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses. As of now, the following have tried but still no luck.
1. Adhesive Tape
2. Soft Eraser (Erased on a small part of the LCD but no effect)
3. Alcohol (As stated in my post)

I was able to pass-by a DIY store and i saw a "WD-40 No Mess Pen" (see photo). Do you think it is safe to use it? Im afraid i might mess the LCD. :(

pen74629581.jpg

WD-40 No-Mess Pen | Oil Hinges, Remove Sticky Labels & Adhesive

Anyone has been using this?

Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't like the smell of WD-40, so I don't use on anything I put next to my face :bsmilie: I'm not so sure how does this No-mess pen smells.

One active CS member is a real expert in labels and adhesive, let's wait for his reply.

I agree with the lighter fluid. Hasn't failed me yet.

Next time before you decide to peel off a sticker, use a hair dryer first and give it a good blow. You will see that it'll be easier for you to remove the sticker. I learned that from Good Housekeeping.

The best way is to use adhesive tape to remove. But you need to know how to use it so it is effective. it is not a stick on and peel off and hope the goo is gone. You need to hold the stick 2 ends of the ahesive tape to your index fingers and give it some tension, use your thumbs and press down so the adhesive tape in between your index fingers is stuck onto the LCD... then lift your 2 index fingers upwards so the adhesive tape does not peel off, but lift off... keep doing it till the goo is gone. the adhesive tape you use must be fairly strong, something like 2 inch box sealing tape will be idea.

Lighter fluid is also doable. Use brands like Zippo or Ronsol. Do note that lighter fluid tend to slightly dissolve adhesives and when you wipe, it gets smudged around.. so you need to do a thorough job to remove all of the goo.

Thanks to fatigue for letting me know about this thread.

Last edited:
The best way is to use adhesive tape to remove. But you need to know how to use it so it is effective. it is not a stick on and peel off and hope the goo is gone. You need to hold the stick 2 ends of the ahesive tape to your index fingers and give it some tension, use your thumbs and press down so the adhesive tape in between your index fingers is stuck onto the LCD... then lift your 2 index fingers upwards so the adhesive tape does not peel off, but lift off... keep doing it till the goo is gone. the adhesive tape you use must be fairly strong, something like 2 inch box sealing tape will be idea.

Lighter fluid is also doable. Use brands like Zippo or Ronsol. Do note that lighter fluid tend to slightly dissolve adhesives and when you wipe, it gets smudged around.. so you need to do a thorough job to remove all of the goo.

Thank you bro for the advice. I'm not sure if i'm doing it right or its just that the stain or the goo is hardened already. or maybe i'm using a cheapo tape. I have attached the video on how i did it. after how many attempts (3x) i don't see any improvement. :embrass:

[video=youtube;xyjB8iQt_RE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjB8iQt_RE&feature=plcp[/video]

Tomorrow i'll try to buy a lighter fluid (Zippo) and try to do this again. By the way how should the fluid be applied. Drop directly to the screen or a cloth or cotton to apply?

I'm really grateful to have you all guys helping me.

Thank you bro for the advice. I'm not sure if i'm doing it right or its just that the stain or the goo is hardened already. or maybe i'm using a cheapo tape. I have attached the video on how i did it. after how many attempts (3x) i don't see any improvement. :embrass:

Tomorrow i'll try to buy a lighter fluid (Zippo) and try to do this again. By the way how should the fluid be applied. Drop directly to the screen or a cloth or cotton to apply?

I'm really grateful to have you all guys helping me.

Let me film a short video to show you how i do it, I do smaller areads at one time. The key is to pull up fast. if you stick too big an area, you cannot pull up fast. Movie is uploading.. will post it when it is done.

Last edited:

This technique could have been based on another process called Brazilian.... :bsmilie:

This technique could have been based on another process called Brazilian.... :bsmilie:

LOL

anyway.. video is uploaded. I ran out of box sealing tape and used gaffer tape instead. Gaffer tape is not as strong but as you can see, still works for "fresher" goo...

[video=youtube;MYHYjB0LGS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYHYjB0LGS0[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.