how to clean polarizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cheerykite

my polarizer has got a thin layer of oil on in, and no matter how i clean it with paper for cleaning lens, i can't get rid of the oil.

want to use dishwashing detergent, but am afraid i might wash away the coating. anyone has any advice to offer?

thanks!

if its chaep brand polariser then just try it out. at most get one more. really not much harm

try those err ... paper ... which ladies (maybe some men) use to err .. absorb oil from their faces. i tried that once on my dsc-p1 when i found the lens oily (god knows where it came from). :D no 'rubbing' required. press lightly on the lens, and bingo! good luck!

power? no leh. i remember those i used were blue in color :) dunno the brand though :)

Have you tried using the cleaning fluid for lenses to clean your polarizer?

No no no... Dun go cleaning off the "oil" with whatever lens fluid! And u dun need to go buy another filter!

The "oil" is part of the 2-piece glass construction of the Polarizer. In our warm climate, it tends to leak but will not affect your pics.

kiwi2 said:
No no no... Dun go cleaning off the "oil" with whatever lens fluid! And u dun need to go buy another filter!

The "oil" is part of the 2-piece glass construction of the Polarizer. In our warm climate, it tends to leak but will not affect your pics.

I've never seen any oil fluid...anyway if its on the polarizer and you don't clean it isn't it going to affect your shot? :dunno:

cheerykite said:
want to use dishwashing detergent, but am afraid i might wash away the coating. anyone has any advice to offer?

unless you use acid. you can try the blue solution usr to clean glass, that is a mild soap and it has anti-static properties.dishwashing detergent will not wash away the coating.

Anyone tried opening up the polarizer?

I got one with some dusts in between the layers, not sure how to dismantle it.
Its a Hoya. Any help will be great.

kiwi2 said:

Hmmm apparently what kiwi2 said was true. My friend also had that problem. the leak did not give him any problems. Guess you shoudl just leave it alone...
Lucky I never had this problem...

coke21 said:
Hmmm apparently what kiwi2 said was true. My friend also had that problem. the leak did not give him any problems. Guess you shoudl just leave it alone...
Lucky I never had this problem...

Yah, just leave it. I dunno why, it's the construction. But it certainly won't affect the images.

i clean it with whatever soft things i could find handy... fingers, tissues, my shirts, or pants, etc.
quite tough to take care of this filter, ven though i have a pouch specially for it. my CPL filter seldom last very long with me, i have lost many pieces liao over the last 1~2yrs....lost 2 during my trip last week. ;<

Status
Not open for further replies.