how to clean filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeteck

Feb 13, 2004
can someone help? i used a medical alcohol swab to wipe the front of my uv filter and wonder whether the coating has been damaged. can an expert tell me? trhanks

weeteck said:
can someone help? i used a medical alcohol swab to wipe the front of my uv filter and wonder whether the coating has been damaged. can an expert tell me? trhanks

I usually use a tissue, wipe it gently will do.

weeteck said:

NEVER use any solvent, alcohol inc to clean your filters! Asking for trouble as that may dissolve the coatings.

What do is breathe on it as describe above and clean with clean cotton cloth, like old cotton T-shirt.

If the filter gets really mouldy or greasy, what I do is simply to wash it under running water, use a little bit of hand soap to remove the oil stains and rinse it again. After that dry it with cotton cloth and throw into the dry cabinet for it to dry fully. But for those 'layered' filters such as Cir-PL filters, cannot wash as water will get in.

tao said:
If the filter gets really mouldy or greasy, what I do is simply to wash it under running water, use a little bit of hand soap to remove the oil stains and rinse it again. After that dry it with cotton cloth and throw into the dry cabinet for it to dry fully. But for those 'layered' filters such as Cir-PL filters, cannot wash as water will get in.

In this case, use a moist towel paper to wet the surface before wiping with lense cleaning tissue. Afterwhich, fog the filter with your breath and wipe again to remove any streak marks.

never use tissue or those paper towels. they scratch. you should use microfibre cloth like those used for glasses.

I recommend getting PEC PADs and ECLIPSE to do the cleaning. You can get them at big camera stores such as CP. Not too expensive and can last quite a while.

Can use 3M cloth meant for eye glasses????

It can remove oil and dust..... :dunno:

I was at mscolour..a person recommended this ang hong ki zhua (sorry my hokkien not powderful). It can be bought at provision shop for 20cents? Apparently, its very good, just give a hot breadth to the paper and wipe off the marks off the filter..not tried it personally..but will give a try when i can find an old provision shop..(disclaimer: pls dont blame me if it does not work)

Go to a optical shop and pay 4 buck to get a big piece of fiber cloth.
and it can stay VERY VERY long as you can throw it into the washing machine. i got mine.... brand = Hoya.

for most filters just use breath and wipe with soft lens cloth. for multicoated like hoya hmc was with soap and water then let it put it some place to dry or blow dry with hairdryer. once dry then use breath and wipe with soft lens cloth.

tao said:
NEVER use any solvent, alcohol inc to clean your filters! Asking for trouble as that may dissolve the coatings.

What do is breathe on it as describe above and clean with clean cotton cloth, like old cotton T-shirt.

I thought certain alcohols are suitable?

madmacs said:
for most filters just use breath and wipe with soft lens cloth. for multicoated like hoya hmc was with soap and water then let it put it some place to dry or blow dry with hairdryer. once dry then use breath and wipe with soft lens cloth.
Is soap alright? Thought hand soap such as the common dettol will damage the coatings due to the moisturizing agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.