How to clean filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabianaino

Deregistered
Nov 19, 2007
Orchard
HI Guys,

I recently got a couple of lens and have some filters for them When I am out something I would accidently touched the filter and there leaves a finger print mark there.

Can I know what you guys do to remove it? I tried to use soft cloth ( specs cleaning cloth ) but it only smuches it around more.

Can we use regular hand soap to wash and dry the filter?

And how about CPL? How to clean/ wash it?

Sorry for these newbie questions. :embrass:

Hi fabianaino,

For cleaning the filters, I normally breathe onto the filteres to get a layer of moisture and use a soft cloth lightly to wipe in circular motion outwards. The fingerprint should be removed.

If it does not work, e.g. oily print, then wash under running water and rub with soft cloth lightly and repeat a few times. It should be gone. :)

Happy cleaning!

I use a 3M lens cloth... or a lenspen... it removes the fingerprint without a problem... ;)

I use a clean tissue with a little bit of isoproyl alcohol. Removes all oily finger print marks in a jiffy. Cheap, proven and works for lenses and filters.

For cleaning the filters, I normally breathe onto the filter to get a layer of moisture and use a soft cloth lightly to wipe in circular motion outwards. The fingerprint should be removed.

same for me. i have not needed to do anything else other than this to clean my filters.

A lenspen would solve the problem. :)

geezz thanks.
now I feel "safer" using my breath..hehe. I just wanna to make sure i don't damage the lens filter coating ( since they are expensive slice of glass ). :D

how much is a lenspen roughly?
:)
sounds like an essential piece of equipment since I have sweatly palm and my fingers brush my CPL and filters often. :embrass:

sounds like an essential piece of equipment since I have sweatly palm and my fingers brush my CPL and filters often. :embrass:

it's abt $15.. cheap and good :)

There are many different types and sizes, so the prices vary... but you can check out their web site first to see what best fits you... and you can try CP (where I got mine) or call up some other shops to see if they carry them...

http://www.lenspen.com/

HI Guys,

I recently got a couple of lens and have some filters for them When I am out something I would accidently touched the filter and there leaves a finger print mark there.

Can I know what you guys do to remove it? I tried to use soft cloth ( specs cleaning cloth ) but it only smuches it around more.

I usually use a lens cleaning solution and lens tissue/microfibre cloth to clean the filters surface.

HI Guys,

i just use a spec cloth..

make sure when you use the breath method, you have not just eaten, or if you have, rinse your mouth first... otherwise, you might get food "breathed" onto the filter... ;p

get a good microfibre cloth - those included with spectacles, msot of the time cannot make it.. after the microfibre cloth starts to get a tad ineffective, just wash it in the washing machine, should be good as new.

lenspen is a bit too uneconomical to use on filter. you keep using it you're going to be running them lenspens down pretty quickly. use it for much better purposes like your lenses only.

lenspen is quick and easy..

sidetrack a bit, where to buy 3M lens cloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.