How to clean B+W filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acpical

Jul 25, 2007
I know B+W filters are considered easier to clean but just how do you clean it?

I have lots of stubborn dust on the UV filter. Tried a blower, dusted with brush, and even tried a Lenspen. But it is still not 100% clear.

I know the official site describes how to clean it but I want to do it without buying their fluids, cloth and what-nots.

Do I just run it under tap water :dunno:

I know that few specks of dust will not affect the picture quality but I just want to make it clear again.

The only comfort is that this could be on my lens instead of the filter.

I have lots of stubborn dust on the UV filter. Tried a blower, dusted with brush, and even tried a Lenspen. But it is still not 100% clear.

I know the official site describes how to clean it but I want to do it without buying their fluids, cloth and what-nots.

I know that few specks of dust will not affect the picture quality but I just want to make it clear again.

I just use a lens tissue.

lens cleaning paper with optic spray or liquid will do

Have you tried removing the filter and clean the underside? Judging from ur last sentence, looks like you have not.

If tried all the above, and the dust is not on the underside, it is possible that the 'dust' is fungus. Sorry bad news.

There are cloths specially made for dust cleaning, price from $15-$30, check it in DIY shops.

1. Blower
2. Soft antistatic brush
3. Vapor from my breath
4. Microfiber cloth
I have been using the above technique for many years & that's what works for me. I never bother using lens cleaning liquid.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

Looks like I got to salvage the cloth that came with my LCD monitor. I remember it states micro-fibre too. Will give that a try.

I used a lens tissue a long, long time ago and I remember the material and texture. Would it scratch the glass if I wipe too hard?

Have you tried removing the filter and clean the underside? Judging from ur last sentence, looks like you have not.

If tried all the above, and the dust is not on the underside, it is possible that the 'dust' is fungus. Sorry bad news.

I had cleaned both sides. Don't really think it is fungus, as I keep it in a dry box when not using. But the saving grace is that if I had not used the filter, all these stuff would be on the lens itself. That would be a greater problem!

Tap water and diluted dish washing liquid* (that's what most 'optical' cleansing fluids are anyway), rinse well, shake dry and dab with tissue. Breath, then wipe with a microfiber. I much prefer fine untanned kid leather even though I do carry microfiber.

* If it makes anyone feel more reassured, I use a formula made specially for Swarowski optics, which is essentially untinted diluted dish washing liquid (anyways :bsmilie:) and isop alcohol.

* If it makes anyone feel more reassured, I use a formula made specially for Swarowski optics, which is essentially untinted diluted dish washing liquid (anyways :bsmilie:) and isop alcohol.

Mind sharing the formula? As in which brand washing liquid, amounts of the washing liquid and isopropyl alcohol...

Mind sharing the formula? As in which brand washing liquid, amounts of the washing liquid and isopropyl alcohol...

I didn't make it myself. It was manufactured to clean Swaroski optics.

For a filter, a $4 microfiber cloth is gd enough.

Thats what I thought so...Unfortunately for me, I gave up buying cheap cloths that leaves more fibre after cleaning. If I remember the prices correctly, both cost me about $12. Finally with this one, I can body, lens, filter, flash etc including sweat without worrying.

Thats what I thought so...Unfortunately for me, I gave up buying cheap cloths that leaves more fibre after cleaning. If I remember the prices correctly, both cost me about $12. Finally with this one, I can body, lens, filter, flash etc including sweat without worrying.

The $4 one i bought is cheap and gd, serves its purpose. :)

Chamois leather. :thumbsup:

Gave a swipe with the microfibre cloth that accompanied my LCD on the filter just now. Marginally better but I think I will live with it - until I pass by a photo shop and check out their cleaning cloths.

the same way you clean any other filter... what's so special about b+w filter??

alternatively, you can make offerings of chicken and oranges, cleanse yourself 3 days before, and meditate on top of a branch for the rest of the time up till the moment,
and then use a microfibre cloth, that works too. after all, it is B+W, you must make the cleaning session a special one.

Status
Not open for further replies.