How to choose a good portable HDD for travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a pd70x but its practically brand new. with today's CF prices its probably better to buy extra CF cards as they are hardier (as opposed to sensitive hdds), lighter and more compact (by a few hundred times!!!!!!) and don't require you to carry adapters/ batteries.

Agree!! I used to believe 1 CF card and a huge Portable HD for transferring is sufficient... Last month at my daughter's K2 graduation event... CF card ERROR :sweat: I almost faint... luckily it somehow recovered :lovegrin:

Agree!! I used to believe 1 CF card and a huge Portable HD for transferring is sufficient... Last month at my daughter's K2 graduation event... CF card ERROR :sweat: I almost faint... luckily it somehow recovered :lovegrin:

today @ the seminar, one of the booths was selling this hard drive case that allows u to plug in memory cards directly and backup..pretty interesting... case retails for 250 i think...

$250! What is the size of the harddisk? You can get the digimate case for $70-80 and buy a 40GB harddisk... should cost you about $150-160 only.
Unless you wanna get those with a LCD for preview... that will cost you a few hundred dollars more :sweatsm:

Digimate casing (can read different types of cards - CF, SD, MemoryStick etc.) + 80Gb harddisk - bought at SimLim earlier this year for S$280. Price should've dropped some more by now.
Has done the job for all my travels so far :thumbsup:

I think how good is the portable storage is depend on budget. Good one allows you to preview the photos and ensure you that the photos are safety transferred. Cheap one is depend on luck and trust. So far I have used cheap one like Image Tank ( 1st generation storage ) and Compact PD7x, I do not encounter any problem. When I transfer my images, I always do it in the hotel or on the flat ground. My recommendation for portable storage is to share with friends and colleagues as you will not use it frequently.

i lost my charger for my digitmate II while on holiday and don't know where to get a replacement. does anyone konw if digimate sell replacement chargers anywhere?

For myself, I have a digimate(the cheapo portable HDD) with 40gb.
Been using for 2 years plus and countless transfer.

Oh, I can't remember when was the last time I charge??? Battery seems to last forever or maybe it charge itself when I plug into usb. ;)

Does this method requires a laptop?

Can I connect from camera or sd card directly to the hdd? Cos may not bring laptop sometimes.

Does this method requires a laptop?

Can I connect from camera or sd card directly to the hdd? Cos may not bring laptop sometimes.
the digimate is able to read most card type and doesn't require a laptop to backup. only downside is the copying rate is very slow.

Speaking of the PD70X, where else can I get it? Eastgear no longer selling it...

huh...i went two days ago..and shop at AP...bor liao leh..

How much is the 40gb?

I got the PD70x and the fragile battery latch broke during my India tour...haiz...Panic!!!!

Took for granted and din bring charger.
Lucky got a photo pal got Laptop, if not, I am doomed... so remember to bring your charger/AC plug...

Wrote to EastGear..no response on my battery latch leh...now use tape to temporily close the battery column...chiam...
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.