How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)

This thread is now accorded 'Sticky' status ....... thanks for gathering the research and info bro '

ed

I agree really great info about the cameras. Thanks Shahmatt. Keep it coming! ;p;p

nice, good info...

:)good info:)

hey guys~~ im new to photography and was thinking of buying a new camera to start practicing. do you all think a digi cam is good enough? was gonna wait for Megatex but i saw at (superdeals.insing) that this is a pre-event sales and $88 for a FUJIFLIM JV210 sounds cheap enough (plus im on a budget) . havent been able to find much helpful reviews on the camera and wanna seek your advices!!! thanks in advance! :D please helpppp ^^

Awesome stuff. I like the diagram below.

But how do I know in video cameras like Sony NX70P, Sony VG-20 and Canon XA10, what are their image sensor size ?

Thanks

The most common types of sensor formats available right now are: 1/2.5”, 1/1.6”, four-thirds and APS-C. An illustration of sensor formats is show below:
500px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg.png

Source: Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not a close follower of videography, but according to google your options have the following sensor sizes:

Sony NX70P: 1/2.88" sensor
Canon XA10: 1/3" CMOS Sensor
Sony VG20: APS-C sensor

In theory the VG20 should offer superior image quality with better dynamic range and low image noise. However reviews seem to suggest that the unit offers poor value for money in terms of features.

Actually modern day cameras with liveview offer very good alternatives to dedicated video cameras. In fact the 5D Mark II has secured quite a reputation amongst amateur videographers as an extremely good full-frame video camera that offers very good value for the features within.

It may be that the video camera and the DSLR are both slated for extinction in the medium to long term - just like film has now been on the endangered list for some years now.

Last edited:
I'm not a close follower of videography, but according to google your options have the following sensor sizes:

Sony NX70P: 1/2.88" sensor
Canon XA10: 1/3" CMOS Sensor
Sony VG20: APS-C sensor

In theory the VG20 should offer superior image quality with better dynamic range and low image noise. However reviews seem to suggest that the unit offers poor value for money in terms of features.

Actually modern day cameras with liveview offer very good alternatives to dedicated video cameras. In fact the 5D Mark II has secured quite a reputation amongst amateur videographers as an extremely good full-frame video camera that offers very good value for the features within.

It may be that the video camera and the DSLR are both slated for extinction in the medium to long term - just like film has now been on the endangered list for some years now.

i always get a good laugh at your stance on death to DSLRs and full-fledged video cams...

Sony Handycam NEX-VG20 Camcorder Review - CamcorderInfo.com

Sony NEX-VG20: Full Review

Sony NEX VG20 Quick Review - YouTube

and also, i did notice that there was one review that said exactly what you said, and that was in comparison with Video DSLRs.

Sony’s VG20 Large-Sensor Camcorder Not Looking So Good - NoFilmSchool

Read the comments and see what the actual users have to say about it, and the reviewer.

i always get a good laugh at your stance on death to DSLRs and full-fledged video cams...

and also, i did notice that there was one review that said exactly what you said, and that was in comparison with Video DSLRs.

Sony’s VG20 Large-Sensor Camcorder Not Looking So Good - NoFilmSchool

Read the comments and see what the actual users have to say about it, and the reviewer.

Well, my comments on the DSLR are just based on observation. What can DSLRs do that mirrorless cameras can't? It wasn't so long ago that film SLRs were the only thing available. The DSLR has lasted us about 20 years or so since Kodak made the first one in 1991 I think. Film exists but only amongst devotees. DSLRs will also exist for a long time but may not stay mainstream.

As for video cams. Well, some of the currently famous youtube personalities seem to prefer the video feature on the 5D Mark II. So that's my only basis. I don't know how good the video features of the Sony NEX 5N are, or how it compares with a dedicated video cam, but comparing the same feature on different genres of devices is fine by me. I'm assuming it's a matter of time before still cameras become one with good video capture.

Last edited:
In my opinion when you will go to buy camera you should keep one thing in your mind that your first priority must be mega pixel. If your camera pixel is good then the result of photo will be good. And in my opinion Resolution is not a big matter.

In my opinion when you will go to buy camera you should keep one thing in your mind that your first priority must be mega pixel. If your camera pixel is good then the result of photo will be good. And in my opinion Resolution is not a big matter.

WTF? Sorry for the language...

You mean a (say) 46MP APS-C sensored camera would produce better result than a 24MP FF sensor camera? Seriously man... what are you smoking?

And why do you want a big MP camera when resolution is not a big matter? Geez...