how to check EXIF data?

thinslicing

Jul 7, 2009
singapore
do all pics have EXIF? how do you check it especially those posted in this site? thanks!

Pictures taken with modern DSLR or compact cameras will have EXIF data embeded inside the picture, while those taken with film cameras and then scanned in do not. When posting, the EXIF data might be lost in the process even though the original picture contains the EXIF - some intentionally removed by the photographers, others unintentionally removed by the editing software or the hosting sites (e.g. flickr). For viewing the EXIF, Opanda IExif is an excellent choice as suggested by Squid.

To TRY and check EXIF of other photos shown on the net (eg Clubsnap), I use Firefox and the IXIF plugin, as suggested by bro Rashkae in a post some weeks back.
With this plugin I simply right click on an image and select View Exif.
If the exif is not lost, I can see it.

do all pics have EXIF? how do you check it especially those posted in this site? thanks!

if you don't want to install exif viewers for your browser (available for firefox, not sure about rest), just right click and save to desktop.. then right c lick nad look at properties --> advanced.

troublesome.... :bsmilie:.... hehehehe

i used to do that... until i was "enlightened"... :)

Opanda IExif works with MS IE as well.

To TRY and check EXIF of other photos shown on the net (eg Clubsnap), I use Firefox and the IXIF plugin, as suggested by bro Rashkae in a post some weeks back.
With this plugin I simply right click on an image and select View Exif.
If the exif is not lost, I can see it.

Was curious, does the plugin work if you are using Win Vista or 7?

I'm using Fxif plug-in for firefox

I use Irfanview (google it up) and the EXIF plug-in. Works like a charm ;)

I use Irfanview (google it up) and the EXIF plug-in. Works like a charm ;)

With Irfanview + plugin you'll need to open the picture to see the EXIF data. With Opanda IExif you can see it directly in the browser or inside windows explorer without opening the picture.

i'm using google chrome, opanda dont works with chrome, any other suggestions

i'm using google chrome, opanda dont works with chrome, any other suggestions

try http://regex.info/exif.cgi

it's a web-based exif viewer, open the link above, on top right corner, drag the "Exif" button to your bookmark bar.

whenever u wan to view an exif for a photo, right click the photo--> open image in new tab, go to the tab, and click the "Exif" link in your bookmark bar. and you will see the EXIF data (if there is any).

thanks for the replies guys!

When posting, the EXIF data might be lost in the process even though the original picture contains the EXIF - some intentionally removed by the photographers, others unintentionally removed by the editing software or the hosting sites (e.g. flickr).

how do you intentionally remove or keep EXIF data on a photo?

I use an addon called Exif Viewer for Mozilla. I just right click on any picture I see and click "View EXIF" and if its available to see, all the info is there :)

thanks for the replies guys!

fastone image viewer (which I sometimes use) has an option when editing and saving a file, to "remove JPEG metadata" (or something similar).
Some programs call it "save for web" I think...

This actually depends on the editing software you're using. E.g. in PS, you can "save for web and devices", and in "metadata" if you select anything other than "all" the EXIF info will be stripped.

But why would you want to remove the EXIF data? The purpose of participating in the forum is to share, and I definitely won't mind sharing my settings with others. That is also part of the reasons why I do not like to host my pics on flickr as the EXIF is being stripped in the process. :)

But why would you want to remove the EXIF data? The purpose of participating in the forum is to share, and I definitely won't mind sharing my settings with others. That is also part of the reasons why I do not like to host my pics on flickr as the EXIF is being stripped in the process. :)

The trouble is that Exif doesn't contain only the camera settings, but also other information that you may want to keep private. For example, if you took your photo in your home with a camera that has a GPS receiver, your address will be exposed. The thumbnail in the Exif data can also cause troubles. There are special tools for stripping Exif like JPEG & PNG Stripper and BatchPurifier LITE.

BTW, flickr strips the Exif of only the smaller resized versions of the photo. The Exif of the original is left intact, and you can even see the details in flickr itself.