How to charge per photo?

cheeken

Aug 31, 2010
Hi, I am working for a music company, and my boss decided to pay me extra for my photography, but wishes to pay me per photo used for publicity rather than per hour of photography done. Both him and I are not sure what the market rates are so I'm hoping I can get some advice on what the market rate is like per photo. Thanks!

I thinks there's no fomula for photography rates. Its a service and not a commodity so it's hard to put a price tag, services and charges varies from photographer to photographers.

For example a wedding photographer may charge $250 for a full day wedding job while another may charge $1250 and a top photographer may charge $2250

For service trades like hairdressers that provide hair cuts, I have been had my hair cut for $3.80,$10 and also $38.
David Gan( hair stylist for celebrities) charges a few hundreds for haircut, even for non celebrities

So it comes down to how much you think your time is worth, and how good you think your skills are. You can also ask your boss what's the budget, and price it alone that line

I thinks there's no fomula for photography rates. Its a service and not a commodity so it's hard to put a price tag, services and charges varies from photographer to photographers.

So it comes down to how much you think your time is worth, and how good you think your skills are. You can also ask your boss what's the budget, and price it alone that line

Asking what's the boss budget will sure make his boss very happy for my answer is $2.50 for 6 photos plus data entry. And there is actually some guidelines on how to charge.

Now on to the TS's question.

First what kind of music company and what are you hired as?

What kind of photos? Performance photos? Posed portraits?

Your description is very vague. Thats why people ALSO answer you very vaguely.

Some info first;

Assuming you are working as a non-photography position for your company, your employment terms and condition did not state or suggest taking photographs is part of your jobscope, then any photos you create belongs to you.

Which means you own the copyright and thus you can sell photo by photo, or license out the usage.

How much you can sell depends on how exclusive and how timely it is. The common terms which determine prices are:

First usage: meaning you allow that company to use that photo first and wait an X amount of time before you license that photo out to more agencies or magazines, thus a First Usage commands a higher price.

Exclusive: meaning you only license to that company and no one else, commands the highest price.

Assuming your company somehow can get you photo access to maybe concerts for the big time performers and recording artist, then your photos can have good value. The bigger the show, the higher, the lesser competing photographers also shooting, the higher.

Assuming your photos shows great photojournalism or paparazzism, the value is even more enhanced, etc fan throwing eggs landing on certain star's face, nipple slips, guitarist suddenly drug OD and fall flat mouth foaming, etc. Time to contact the big press, they should be very interested in good news, or the taboo mags for the nip slips.

If it's local indie artists or local bands that come and go everyday, then the big dreams don't apply.