How to charge for product photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

focusHeart

Apr 12, 2008
Hi i would like to do product photography for my friend who intends to sell jewellery. May i know what is the rate to go about especially when i'm only starting on my freelance path. Thank you :)

It might help if you were a little more specific about the brief. ;)

Try going through www.prophotolife.com

They have a lot of business articles there.

Briefly though, you need to look in terms of usage. Where will the use the images? Brochures? Web? Posters? Billboards? That will determine the quality the client requires from you, and therefore, the amount of work you need to put in.

If you're looking for a specific amount, there's not exact number for that. You define it.

Hi..thanks for the replies guys...basically i would like to take photographs of jewellery like necklace, bracelets...maybe about 10 different kinds of items. They are for both my friend's website as well as for advertistment on magazines and posters. I am only starting out photography so since I'm not really experienced... i would like to know like roughly how should i charge about. Although i know the charges are up to me to decide... i would like to know what is the range of price i should quote.

Normally when you are shooting jewellery......which needs time and super detailed eye to the product itself, the charges should be higher than normal product shot. If you are shooting for jewellery you will need to do a little bit of touch up on the photos

Please take note that you will need to have the basic equipments like studio lightings, reflectors, macro lens, glue gun, a good super sterdy tripod with extension tube, toothpicks, hand gloves and chamois leather.

No use charging your friend if you do not have the basics stuff. As you will need to deliver the output of their product. If you want to do it, do it the right way.......with a bit of research.

Since there is about 10 items (most of the time they will add extra 2-3 more), I will charge as per item. I can tell you my LOWEST market rate for jewellery shot is $300.00 per item and it goes up as high as $800.00 per item.

Why charge so high? There are many types and sets of jewellery. Some is just a ring but some are a chain with many diamonds or rubies. I know you are new at this but it does not mean you have to go super low (like $50 per item).

There are no set market rate but if you specialized in shooting products, you will need to charge higher. Never be afraid to charge more if you know you can deliver beatiful shot of their products as clients spend at least a minimum of $15,000 - $20,000 on advertisement alone. Another thing is have a bit of imagination on how much they will earn on their jewellery items once it's sold. Normally they will earn around 30%-35% margine. So if their jewellery is sold at $3,000-$5,000 (they will earn at least $900-$1500). And that's one item only.......

Once last suggestion, try to do a bit of homework by shooting your gf/wife/mom's jewellery at home to have a feel how easy/difficult it is to shoot jewellery. At least you know that when you see your friend's jewellery items, you have a basic idea on how to go about making it look better before charging your client/friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.